This page highlights before and after photos for past and present historic buildings. Click on any photo for a larger view.
**Last Updated: 5/10/2020- Added to Broad Street, Town Street, State Street and Mt Vernon Avenue.
Existing Historic Buildings
1. The Wyandotte Building: 21 W. Broad Street: 1898
2. Ohio State Capitol Building: 1861
3. Hayden-Clinton Bank Building: 22-26 E. Broad Street: 1869
4. Trinity Episcopal Church: 125 E. Broad Street: 1869
5. Columbus Athletic Club: 136 E. Broad Street: 1915
6. Benjamin Smith House: 181 E. Broad Street: 1856
7. St. Joseph’s Cathedral: 212 E. Broad Street: 1872
8. Franklin County Memorial Building: 280 E. Broad Street: 1902
9. Ohio State Life Insurance Building: 366 E. Broad Street: 1926
10. Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church: 501 E. Broad Street: 1885
11. Baptist Temple: 583 E. Broad Street: 1898
12. Benjamin Huntington House: 620 E. Broad Street: 1875
1. The Central Ohio Paper Company Building: 226 N. 5th Street: 1918
1. Champlin Printing Company Building: 225 N. 4th Street: Around 1910
1. Ohio Machine Company Building: 88 W. Main Street: 1885
2. Acme Laundering Company Building: 454 E. Main Street: 1911
1. John Lauterbach House: 136 W. Mound Street: 1868
1. Mixed-Use Building: 501 N. Park Street: Around 1890
1. Allen Thurman House: 513 E. Rich Street: 1884
1. Orr, Brown and Price Building: 49-51 W. Spring Street: 1912
1. Central Union Telephone Company Building: 33 N. 3rd Street: 1907
2. Del Monte Building: 341 S. 3rd Street: 1908
1. Frederick Lazarus House: 380 E. Town Street: 1879
2. Abram Cohen House: 390-392 E. Town Street: 1886
3. Edwin Sharp House: 529 E. Town Street: 1885
4. David Gray House: 530 E. Town Street: 1850
5. William Halliday House: 539 E. Town Street: 1885
6. Frank Bonnet House: 550 E. Town Street: 1870
7. Herman Bauer House: 560 E. Town Street: 1870
8. Residential House: 595 E. Town Street: Around 1870
9. Elzey Burkam House: 603 E. Town Street: 1890
10. Ruth Lantz House: 615 E. Town Street: 1875 and Residential House: 621 E. Town Street: 1873
11. Belmont Apartments: 630 E. Town Street: 1925
Demolished Historic Buildings
1. Board of Trade Building: 30 E. Broad Street: 1889-1969: Demolished to begin construction of the Rhodes State Office Tower.
2. American Insurance Union Auditorium and Colonial Theater: 40-50 W. Broad Street: AIU Auditorium 1906-1924/Colonial Theater: 1909-1924: Both buildings were demolished in 1924 to make way for the new American Insurance Union tower, now known as LeVeque Tower.
3. Retail Building: 54 W. Broad Street: Before 1880-1924: Demolished to make way for the American Insurance Union Tower, now known as LeVeque Tower.
4. First Congregational Church: 74 E. Broad Street: 1857-4/18/1932: The church was demolished after a new, larger church was built at 444 E. Broad Street. The site has remained a parking lot since 1932.
4. John Deshler House: 86 E. Broad Street: 1860-1926: Demolished by the adjacent church for a parking lot. The parking lot remained until construction of the Key Bank building in 1964.
5. Rowlands Building: 100 E. Broad Street: 1922-1964: Demolished to construct the Columbus Center building.
6. Trinity House: 136 E. Broad Street: 1853-1913: This building was originally home to the Esther Institute, Columbus’ first boarding school for girls. It became the Trinity Espicopal parish house, or later known as Trinity House in the late 1860s. By 1912, the building was abandoned and deteriorating, so the Columbus Athletic Club members purchased the building as the site for their new club building. A sad note is that, during its demolition on December 24, 1913, part of the building collapsed onto two workmen, killing one instantly and injuring the second so badly he later died. The new Columbus Athletic Club was completed in 1915 and remains to the present day.
7. Wesley Chapel: 180 E. Broad Street: 1885-1/14/1936: It seems that financial problems during the Depression years and other complications ultimately were responsible for the end of this church. In September, 1935, the quarterly conference voted to abandon the building and have its members join other churches in the area. The plan was for almost immediate demolition for a gas station. The gas station lasted several years, but the site was mostly used for parking until the 1970s when the Borden Building was constructed in 1974.
8. Bishop’s Church House: 198 E. Broad Street: 1848-4/10/1949: Demolished by St. Joseph’s Church to build a new residence.
9. Edward F. Fisher Company Building: 213-215 E. Broad Street: Around 1900-1963: This central office of the funeral director business was located on East Broad until the company went out of business in 1961. The Ohio Education Association bought the building that year and would demolish it to build the current office building on the site. The current address is 225 E. Broad Street.
10. E.T. Mithoff House: 237 E. Broad Street: 1846-1948: The house was used for many years as the “Khaki Club”, a social gathering place for veterans. It was demolished to build an office building, but the site itself was largely used for parking. Later, the parking lot was used by the first Wendy’s restaurant. The site has been a small park since around 1990.
11. Henry Miller House and Duplex: 247-257 E. Broad Street: 1855-1870-1949: The home on the right was 247 E. Broad Street, the home of Henry Miller. At 255-257 E. Broad was the duplex they owned. Both buildings were likely built in the 1860s. It seems both properties likely survived until 1949, when construction of another building began. That building later became the original Wendy’s in 1969. Today it is The Catholic Foundation.
12. Elks Lodge #37: 250 E. Broad Street: 1915-1970: Demolished by Midland Mutual to create a plaza and green space for its new office building.
13. Alfred Kelley House: 282 E. Broad Street: 1838-1962: Demolished to build the Christopher Inn. The house was originally taken apart to later reconstruct at another location, but lack of funding eventually cancelled that project. Parts of the old mansion are now scattered at various locations across the state. The site is now a parking lot.
14. Central High School: 303 E. Broad Street: 1862-12/1928: The school was used until 1924, when the new Central High was completed on the Scioto Peninsula in Franklinton. It was briefly used as city offices for a few years before being demolished in 1928 by The Columbus Mutual Insurance Company. Under their ownership, the site had a gas station between roughly 1935 to 1941, when the gas station was demolished to build the current office building for Columbus Mutual. The office building was sold to Capital University in 1996.
15. Sells-Court Apartments: 310 E. Broad Street: 1904-1959: Demolished to build an office building, but the site was used as a parking lot until the mid-1990s when the current OSERS Building was constructed.
16. Thomas Johnson House: 368 E. Broad Street: Around 1870-1924: Demolished to build the Ohio State Life Insurance Company Building.
17. Charles Hunter House: 383 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1930: This house was demolished to build the single-story retail and office building that currently occupies the site. The building has been modified many times.
18. Joseph Outhwaite House: 447 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-Around 1950: Demolished for unknown reasons. The current building on the site wasn’t constructed until 1955.
19. John Joyce House: 471 E. Broad Street: 1880-1938: The house was bought by Motorists Mutual Insurance in 1937 and was quickly demolished to make way for their new offices. Those offices were demolished in 1972 to build the current office building.
20. Francis Sessions House: 478 E. Broad Street: 1840-1928: Demolished to build the Columbus Museum of Art.
21. John Lilley House: 485 E. Broad Street: 1874-8/13/1931: The house was demolished to expand Broad Street United Methodist Church. The actual site of the house, however, is largely vacant green space.
22. Clinton Firestone House: 580 E. Broad Street: 1887-February, 1962: The Firestones only lived in the house until 1913. It served as offices for a few insurance companies until 1960. The story of its demolition seems somewhat muddy. It was occupied by Buckeye Union Casualty Company until 1960. It seems that the house was then sold to a company called 580 East Broad Inc., which demolished the house in early 1962 with plans to build a “general office building”. However, that office building never seems to have been built for some reason, and by 1964, ownership of the site had reverted back to Buckeye Union. Buckeye Union then sold it again the following year. The site has been a parking lot since the demolition.
23. John Deshler House: 584 E. Broad Street: 1888-1980: The home was demolished to build the single story automotive building that currently occupies the site.
24. Oscar Peters House: 600 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-1936: Unknown reason for demolition. The site has served as a used car lot since at least the 1940s.
25. William Rodgers House: 637 E. Broad Street: 1900-1962: Demolished for the construction of I-71. The site is now an onramp.
1. Aler Wallpaper Company Building: 45 E. Chestnut Street: Around 1900-1950: Demolished for a parking lot. The current office building went up in 1965.
1. William Thompson House: 54 Cleveland Avenue: Around 1895-1958: Unknown reason for demolition, but likely for a parking lot. Most of the original buildings along Cleveland Avenue came down for parking reasons, considered an urban renewal tactic at the time. The site is now part of the Columbus College of Art and Design campus.
2. James Pender House: 70 Cleveland Avenue: Around 1880-1966: Demolished for parking lots. The site is now part of the CCAD campus.
3. William Pack House: 198 Cleveland Avenue: Around 1880-1974: Likely demolished for surface parking. Today it is part of the CCAD campus.
1. John Ostot House: 318 S. Front Street: 1834-Around 1945: Unknown reasons for demolition. The site was used as a parking lot for many years. The corner of Front and Noble, on which this sat, no longer exists, as Noble street on this block was removed during the construction of the new Franklin County Courthouse in 2009. The 2019 photo show the approximate location of the home.
1. Michael Harding House: 320 E. Gay Street: 1893-1962: Demolished for unknown reasons, but the site has remained a parking lot.
2. John Gillivan House: 426-428 E. Gay Street: 1888-1970: Demolished for a parking lot. Today, the site is part of the Columbus College of Art and Design campus.
1. Frisbie Building: 83 S. High Street: 1910-11/1982: Demolished to prepare for the construction of the Vern Riffe Center, which was completed in 1988.
2. Andrew Dobbie Dry Goods Building: 130 S. High Street: Around 1900-1986: The building was demolished in preparation to build City Center Mall.
3. Odd Fellows Temple: 198 S. High Street: 1870-1936: Demolished after a large fire on 2/19/1936.
4. Hoover Rowlands Furniture Building: 208 S. High Street: 1906-Around 1975: Demolished for a parking lot. The parking lot remained until the construction of City Center Mall and is now the site of HighPoint at Columbus Commons.
5. Baker’s Art Gallery Building: 232 S. High Street: 1924-1984: Demolished for the redevelopment of Capital South. The site is now part of 250 High.
6. Knickerbocker Theater: 246-254 S. High Street: 1914-1982: Demolished for the redevelopment of Capital South. The site is now part of 250 High.
7. Beggs Building: 250 N. High Street: 1905-Around 1948: The building seems to have been incorporated into Nationwide offices in 1948, but due to the drastic changes, it should be considered demolished.
8. George Foster House: 347 S. High Street: Around 1840-1885: Demolished for a mixed-use building that was later demolished in 1973. The site remained a parking lot until the Franklin County Courthouse was built in 2008.
1. George Nash House: 43 Jefferson Avenue: 1888-1959: Demolished for the current apartment building.
2. John Jones House: 240 Jefferson Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1965: Most of the homes on this block of Jefferson were demolished in the mid-1960s for parking for Columbus State, and the site remains parking to the present.
Mt Vernon Avenue
1. Norfolf & Western Railroad Depot: 220 Mt Vernon Avenue: 1900-1981: Demolished mostly due to being obsolete. The site has been used by Abbott Labs as parking for many years.
1. Columbus Auditorium: 570 Park Street: 1885-1910: Originally openging as a roller rink, it was remodeled and coverted into an auditorium in 1897. The roof collapsed during a severe snowstorm on February 18, 1910, and it was demolished sometime later.
1. Brewer Marks House: 261 S. 2nd Street: Around 1870-1963: Demolished for a parking lot. It is now part of Bicentennial Park.
1. Jones, Witter and Company Building: 74-82 E. Spring Street: Around 1889-1968: Demolished for a parking lot that still exists.
2. Mixed-Use Building: 131 E. Spring Street: Around 1910-1979: Demolished for a parking lot that remains to the present day.
3. Newton Lantz House: 579-585 E. Spring Street: Around 1895-1996: Demolished by Columbus State for parking.
1. Columbus City Hall: 39 E. State Street: 1868-11/21/1921: A massive fire destroyed this building, and the remains were subsequently demolished. This fire was devastating in more ways than just losing a historic building- the city lost almost all land and housing records dated before 1920. This is why on the Franklin County Auditor site, transfer records all start in 1920. Today, the site is part of the Ohio Theater complex.
2. Hartman Building: 79 E. State Street: 1911-3/31/1981: Demolished to make way for the Sheraton Hotel.
3. The American Art Film Company Building: 344 E. State Street: Around 1870-1923: The building was originally a single family home before being used as offices, including for the AAFC, through the early 1920s. It was demolished to construct the Charminel Hotel. Today, the site is a parking lot for Grant Medical Center, as the Charminel was demolished by the hospital in the mid-1990s.
1. Augustus Whiting House: 66 S. 3rd Street: 1841-1930: Demolished for new development, but that only lasted until 1953. That year, Ohio Federal Savings and Loan tore down the building and built the existing building on the site.
1. It’s rare to be able to show the progression of development on any particular site over time, but I was able to do that for 40 East Town Street, as shown below.
-First Methodist Episcopal Church #1: 40 E. Town Street: 1814-1826: This was the first building on the site and was demolished to build church #2.
-First Methodist Episcopal Church #2: 40 E. Town Street: 1826-1852: This was the 2nd church built on this site for the First Methodist congregation. It was demolished to build the 3rd. The before photo is one of the oldest photos on this site.
-First Methodist Episcopal Church #3: 40 E. Town Street: 1853-1928: The church was sold to the city of Columbus in 1890 and significantly altered to become the headquarters of the Columbus public school library system.
-Columbus Public School Library: 40 E. Town Street: 1853-1928: The library building was demolished to build a car dealership. The dealershp and most of the buildings on the block had been demolished by 1983, when the site was cleared to make way for City Center Mall. Today, the site is in middle of Columbus Commons park.
2. Alexander Huston House: 370 E. Town Street: 1865-1/21/1993: Demolished for a parking lot that still exists.
3. Samuel Brubaker House: 513 E. Town Street: 1883-1963: The house in the old picture was originally much smaller, but was greatly expanded in a 1904 renovation. The house was demolished to build other development on the site, but it doesn’t appear that it was all that substantial. Today, the site is vacant grass.
4. Tod Galloway House: 553 E. Town Street: 1852-1966: Demolished to build the existing office building.
5. Washington Gladden House: 631 E. Town Street: Around 1880-1962: Demolished to build I-71.
Water Street (Marconi Boulevard)
1. Residential Building: 309-311 Water Street: Before 1870-Before 1951: The exact dates of existence for this building is unknown. From historic maps, we know that it was gone before 1951, but was still there for sure as late as 1930 given the photo date. As for when it was built, the style suggest sometime during the 1860s. Other than possible poor condition, it’s unknown why it was demolished. The site stayed a parking lot until the development of the Arena District in the late 1990s.
2. Residential Building: 313-315 Water Street: Before 1870-Before 1951: The exact dates of existence for this building is unknown. From historic maps, we know that it was gone before 1951, but was still there for sure as late as 1930 given the photo date. As for when it was built, the style suggest sometime during the 1860s. Other than possible poor condition, it’s unknown why it was demolished. The site stayed a parking lot until the development of the Arena District in the late 1990s.