The page contains before and after photos documenting historic buildings in the King-Lincoln neighborhood.
The buildings are organized alphabetically by street name.
**Last Updated: 8/14/2019- under reconstruction.
Existing Historic Buildings
1. Broad Street Presbyterian Church: 760 E. Broad Street: 1894
2. Erwin Schueller House: 904 E. Broad Street: 1904
3. Cambridge Arms Apartments: 926 E. Broad Street: 1928
4. Broad-Ohio Apartments: 1160-1190 E. Broad Street: 1924
5. Temple Tifereth Israel: 1354 E. Broad Street: 1927
6. John Baker House: 1400 E. Broad Street: 1853
7. Frederick Shedd House: 1444 E. Broad Street: 1903
8. Henry Werner House: 1640 E. Broad Street: 1914
1. Residential House: 164-168 N. 18th Street: 1902
1. Residential House: 186 N. Garfield Avenue: Around 1890
1. Herman Hoster House: 43 Hamilton Avenue: 1888
2. Harry Alexander House: 186 Hamilton Avenue: Around 1895
1. Alpha Hospital: 891 E. Long Street: Around 1920: The current look happened later after a remodel to change the hospital into a commercial and social services building.
2. Harry Olmstead House: 1582 E. Long Street: 1891
1. Foster Burdell House: 1509 Menlo Place: Around 1900
1. Daniel Thomas House: 233 N. Miami Avenue: Around 1900
2. Residential House: 273-275 N. Miami Avenue: Around 1900
1. Nellir Jones House 1900 Stratford Way: 1927
2. William Stump House: 1927 Stratford Way: Around 1915
1. Susannah Mull House: 189 N. 20th Street: 1898
1. Nelson Gant House: 200 N. 21st Street: Around 1890
2. William Scarlett House: 289-291 N. 21st Street: Around 1905
1. Grace Jones House: 31 N. Woodland Avenue: Around 1910
2. Almer Armstrong House: 71 N. Woodland Avenue: 1905
3. Daniel Ryan House: 297 N. Woodland Avenue: Around 1898
1. Fred Prentiss House: 706 E. Broad Street: 1890-Around 1983: Demolished by the adjacent offices for a parking lot, which remains to the present day.
2. Robert Wolfe House: 714 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1959: Demolished to expand the adjacent office building that still exists.
3. Frederick Schumacher House: 750 E. Broad Street: 1888-4/1961: After Frederick died in 1957, his estate- including the mansion- eventually landed in the hands of Huntington National Bank, which acted as a trustee and executor of his will. Huntington saw no real value in keeping the house given the attitudes, or lack thereof, toward historic preservation. It was merely another old house in the way of progress, and so one of the most impressive mansions in Columbus history was torn down over the course of a week. In its place, the bank and its partners proposed a 12-story, 200-room “luxury” hotel. However, because of zoning conflicts, the city pushed for offices or other development instead. Over time, nothing came of any proposals. It would be 26 years before the site had any other development, the current nondescript office building.
4. James Anderson House: 788 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-Around 1960: The house was demolished by the Broad Street Presbyterian Church for an expansion.
5. Trimble House: 812 E. Broad Street: 1873-1966: Demolished by the Broad Street Presbyterian Church to build the Ecumenical Center, a headquarters for multiple church agencies. The house had previously served as offices and later the Columbus Boys Choir School. Today the site is mostly green space and parking.
6. Governor James Cox House: 840 E. Broad Street: 1912-1940: Demolished, it seems, for a gas station. The gas station was demolished in 1971 and the current office building wasn’t completed until 1991.
7. Walter Brown House: 940 E. Broad Street: 1896-1953: Demolished to build a motel. The motel building, which was latere used as offices, was torn down in 2012, and the site is now used as a parking lot.
8. Harry Wolfe House: 974 E. Broad Street: 1907-1959: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remained vacant until 1976, when the current office building was completed.
9. Albert Halliday House: 994 E. Broad Street: 1873-1981: Unknown reason for demolition, but likely for the parking lot that still exists.
10. Bruce Lindsey House: 1000 E. Broad Street: 1905-1982: Seems to have been demolished for the existing parking lot that serves the office building that now has the 1000 E. Broad address. The original address as the corner of High and 20th.
11. George Hoster House: 1114 E. Broad Street: 1900-1961: Demolished to build an apartment complex. That complex was demolished in 2004 and the site now contains an apartment building for the Columbus Metropolitan Housing Authority.
12. Daniel Sowers House: 1134 E. Broad Street: 1899-1971: The Ohio State Life Insurance Company owned the property beginning in 1966 and was the owner when the house was demolished, so there may have been plans to build an office there. Those plans, or others if they existed, never happened and the site has remained a parking lot for the adjacent Columbus Metropolitan Housing complex.
13. Marie Wright House: 1460 E. Broad Street: 1910-1986: Demolished by the Franklin County Commissioners for unknown reasons. The site remains vacant.
14. Andre Crotti House: 1592 E. Broad Street: 1893-1968: Andre Crotti’s widow lived in the house until her death in December, 1966, and the house was passed to their daughter. The house was later demolished for unknown reasons. The site has been a parking lot for decades.
15. Dennis Kelly House: 1618 E. Broad Street: 1907-1961: Demolished to build Park Towers Condominiums.
1. Foster Burdell House: 1509 Menlo Place: Around 1900
1. Timothy Reardon House: 183-185 N. Miami Avenue: Around 1900-1982: Unknown reason for demolition.
1. Howard Gillard House: 80 N. 17th Street: Around 1880-1969: Demolished to build a daycare center. That building was torn down in 2013 and the site now has new housing.
1. Residential House: 189 N. 21st Street: Around 1890-1978: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remained vacant until a new house was built in 2005.
1. Obed Taylor House: 193 Woodland Avenue: Around 1880-1961: Unknown reason for demolition. The carriage house still exists.