Education History



The Columbus area education system began not long after the city’s founding. This page seeks to detail as much about that history as possible for Columbus and its largest suburban districts.

Click on any photo for a larger view.

**Last Updated: 9/14/2020

Columbus

1812-1849

1845- The first Columbus Public School System is chartered and the Columbus Board of Education is formed.
1845- The first Columbus Board of Education meeting on April 10th agrees upon a school budget of $700.
1845- The school week consists of 5 1/2 days.
1845- The school system employs 16 teachers, 5 men and 11 women.
1845- The first school tax levy goes up for a public vote, passing 404-211.
1847- Dr. Asa Lord becomes the first Superintendent of Schools in Columbus.
1847- Rich Street School is opened on July 21st at 216 S. 3rd Street, on the corner of Rich.

Rich Street School drawing.


1847- The school week is reduced to 5 days from 5 1/2 days.
1847- The first citywide teacher examinations for school positions is held on June 22nd.
1849- A “Mr. Pearson” becomes the first Columbus school teacher to have their disciplinary actions against students called into question.

1850-1899

1850- A smallpox outbreak causes school attendance to drop signficantly citywide.
1854- The first iteration of Sullivant Elementary School is opened in February at 270 E. State Street.
1862- Central High School is completed Downtown, the first Columbus school built entirely for high school students. It opens on September 8th.

Central High School in 1915.


1862- Vaccinations become mandatory for school students in December. Students without vaccinations are banned from attending school.
1863- The German Central Grammar School is completed at 400 S. 4th Street in December. Its purpose was to primarily teach English to German students.

The Central German School, as a private residence in 2019.


1867- Opportunity School, AKA Park Street School or the Girls Trade School is completed at 477 N. Park Street

Opportunity School in 1923.


1867- Rich Street School (1847) is replaced by a new school.
1868- Spring Street Elementary School, AKA Boys Trades High School is opened at 278 E. Spring Street.

The Boys Trades High School in 1922.


1868- The German Central Grammar School (1863) is sold to a private owner and moved to 151 Jackson Street to become a private residence.
1870- Columbus schools begin to employ female principals.
1870- Fourth Street Elementary School is completed at 400 S. 4th Street, at the site of the former German Central Grammar School (1863).

Fourth Street Elementary in 1916.


1870- The first Sullivant Elementary School building (1854) has become so unsafe that it closes and is demolished, despite being just 16 years old. The safety hazard is so great, the school has earned the nickname the ‘State Street Deadfall’.
1871- The second Sullivant Elementary School is opened at 270 E. State Street at a cost of $73,497.

The second Sullivant Elementary School around 1900.


1873- Art classes begin.
1875- Stewart Avenue School is completed at 40 E. Stewart Avenue.

Stewart Avenue School in 1916.


1876- East Main Street Elementary School is completed and opened at 1469 E. Main Street.

East Main Street Elementary in 1916.


1876- Fire drills are implemented at schools for the first time.
1876- Douglass Elementary School is completed at 40 S. Douglass Street.

Douglass Elementary in 1889.


1878- Franklinton Elementary School is opened at 666 W. Broad Street at a cost of $10,500.

Franklinton Elementary in 1889.


1879- Franklinton Elementary School (1878) gets a 4-room, $11,140 addition.
1882- The first Garfield Elementary School is completed at 825 Mt Vernon Avenue.

Garfield Elementary in 1892.


1884- Beck Street Elementary School is completed at 387 E. Beck Street.

Beck Street Elmentary in 2019.


1886- Fifth Avenue Elementary School is completed at 210 W. 5th Avenue.

Fifth Avenue Elementary in 1889.


1887- Manual Arts classes, AKA “Shop” classes, begin.
1888- Siebert Street School is completed and opened at 400 Siebert Avenue.

Siebert Street School in 1916.


1888- Twenty Third Street Elementary is completed at 1235 Mt Vernon Avenue.

Twenty Third Street Elementary in 1889.


1889- Jacob A. Shaawn becomes superintendent of Columbus schools.
1890- Fair Avenue Elementary School is completed and opened at 1395 Fair Avenue. The school costs $32,692 to construct and is designed by Frank Packard.

Fair Avenue Elementary School in 1897.


1890- Eighth Avenue Elementary School is completed and opened at 1435 Indianola Avenue at a cost of $36,000.

Eighth Avenue Elementary in 1922.


1892- Medary Avenue Elementary School is completed at 2500 Medary Avenue.

Medary Avenue Elementary in 1922.


1893- All adult school staff is required to be vaccinated, whereas it had previously only applied to students.
1893- Ohio Street School, AKA Ohio Avenue Elementary, is completed at 505 S. Ohio Avenue.

Photo of Ohio Street School in 1915.


1893- Avondale Elementary School is completed at 141 Hawkes Avenue.
https://www.ccsoh.us/AvondaleES

Avondale Elementary in 1916.


1893- Felton Avenue Elementary School is completed at 920 Leonard Avenue.

Felton Avenue Elementary in 1922.


1893- North High School is completed and opened at 100 W. 4th Avenue.

North High School around 1900.


1894- Atcheson Elementary School is completed at 1771 Joyce Avenue.

Atcheson Elementary in 1922.


1894- Milo High School is completed at 617 E. 3rd Avenue. Milo was once a separate village until it was annexed by Columbus on May 22, 1908.

Milo High School in 1909.


1895- South High School temporarily begins using part of Ohio Street School (1893).
1895- Southwood Elementary School is completed at 1500 S. 4th Street.

Southwood Elementary in 1922.


1895- Hubbard Avenue Elementary School is completed at 104 W. Hubbard Avenue.

Hubbard Avenue Elementary in 1900.


1897- South High School students are moved to Central High School (1862) during the construction of their own building.
1897- Ninth Avenue Elementary School is completed at 221 W. 9th Avenue and dedicated on May 31st.

Ninth Avenue Elementary in 1922.


1898- Northwood Elementary School is completed at 2225 N. High Street.

Northwood Elementary in 1922.


1898- East Main Street Elementary School (1876) is heavily damaged by fire on February 2nd.
1899- East High School is completed at 1390 Franklin Avenue and opens on February 17th.

East High School in 1900.

1900-1949

1900- Franklinton Elementary School (1878) is expanded.
1900- Fair Avenue Elementary School (1890) is expanded.
1900- South High School at 345 Deshler Avenue is dedicated. South High students are moved into the building from Central High School (1862).

South High School around 1905.


1900- School enrollment in Columbus reaches 15,089 students taught by a total of 473 teachers. An additional 3,602 students attend 9 private schools.
1900- Total city school expenditures reach $736,828.81 in 38 buildings.
1902- Livingston Avenue Elementary is completed and opened at 825 E. Livingston Avenue.
https://www.ccsoh.us/LivingstonES

Livingston Avenue Elementary in 1908.


1902- North High School (1893) is expanded with a 25-room addition.
1902- Siebert Street School (1888) is expanded.
1902- Dancing is banned in high school buildings.
1902- Douglass Elementary School (1876) gets a new eastern annex, which opens in April.
1903- First Avenue School is closed because of a smallpox epidemic.
1904- Clinton Elementary School is completed at 10 Clinton Heights Avenue.

Clinton Elementary in 2011.


1904- Leonard Avenue Elementary School is completed at 1655 Leonard Avenue.

Leonard Avenue Elementary School in 1922.


1905- Linden Elementary School is completed and opened at 2608 Cleveland Avenue.

Linden Elementary School in 1908.


1905- Eastwood Elementary School is completed and opened at 1355 Eastwood Avenue.

Eastwood Elementary in 1916.


1905- Michigan Avenue Elementary School is completed and opens at 1200 Michigan Avenue on January 4th. It is also known as the Fourth Avenue School.

The Michigan Avenue Elementary School building in 2010.


1905- Dancing is reinstated in high schools after a student petition.
1906- Free textbooks are authorized for grades 1-4.
1906- Eighth Avenue Elementary School (1890) is expanded.
1906- East Main Street Elementary School (1876) is remodeled.
1906- Eleventh Avenue Elementary School is completed at 880 E. 11th Avenue.

Eleventh Avenue Elementary in 1916.


1907-Columbus school superintendent John H. Francis is part of a national committee that recommends a 12-year school system.
1908- West High School is completed and opened in September at 120 S. Central Avenue.

West High School in 1916.


1909- Champion Avenue Elementary School is completed at 1270 Hawthorne Avenue.

Champion Avenue Elementary in 1959.


1909- The Spring Street Elementary School, AKA Boys Trades High School (1868), is moved to Front Street.
1909- Indianola Junior High School opens at 140 E. 16th Avenue, becoming the first junior high in the United States.

The first Indianola Junior High School in 1915.


1910- Twenty Third Street Elementary (1888) becomes Mt Vernon Junior High School.
1910- Hague Avenue Elementary School is completed at 2744 W. Broad Street

Hague Avenue Elementary in 1915.


1911- Lisle Avenue Elementary is completed at 2366 Lisle Avenue.

Lisle Avenue Elementary in 1922.


1912- The Columbus fire department bans the showing of movies in school buildings.
1912- Dana Avenue Elementary School is completed at 300 Dana Avenue and opened on December 8th.

Dana Avenue Elementary in 1923.


1913- A school for anemic children was opened at Neil Avenue and Hudson Street in cooperation with the Tuberculosis Society.
1913- The Great Flood of March 1913 closes 7 schools and kills over 100 students.
1914- The first Franklin County board of education is formed.
1914- About 25% of the city’s enrollment is studying German at the start of WWI.
1915- Evening High School begins offering courses to immigrants wanting to become citizens.
1915- Crestview Elementary School is completed at 251 E. Weber Road.

Crestveiw Elementary in 1915.


1916- Ohio Street School, AKA Ohio Avenue Elementary School (1893) suffers a fire that causes $20,000 damage and delays its opening for the school year.
1916- John H. Francis becomes superintendent of Columbus schools.
1916- Studer Avenue School is completed at 1046 Studer Avenue.

Studer Avenue School in 1959.


1917- Spring Street Elementary School (1868), AKA Boys Trades School, is expanded.
1918- German language courses are ended and German textbooks are burned in a wave of anti-German sentiment.
1918- The Columbus school board approves a schedule of homework for students stuck at home due to the Spanish Flu pandemic, which closed schools for 2 1/2 months in fall.
1919- Studer Avenue School (1916) has its name changed to Roosevelt Junior High School.
1920- Jacob G. Collicott becomes superintendent of Columbus schools.
1921- John Burroughs Elementary School is completed at 2585 Sullivant Avenue. The cost of the building was a little more than $417,000.
https://www.ccsoh.us/BurroughsES

John Burroughs Elementary around 1925.


1921- The original Linden Elementary School building (1905) is moved in September to make room for a new school under construction.
1921- The second Linden Elementary School is completed and opened 2626 Cleveland Avenue.

The second Linden Elementary School (foreground) with the original 1905 school behind it.


1922- Fulton Street Elementary School is completed and opened at 450 E. Fulton Street. It is the first Columbus school for children with physical disabilities.

Fulton Street Elementary in 1922.


1922- The second iteration of Clinton Elementary School is completed at 10 Clinton Heights Avenue. The old Clinton Elementary (1904) is maintained as an annex.
https://www.ccsoh.us/ClintonES

The second Clinton Elementary in 2015.


1922- 42 one-room schools are counted throughout Franklin County.
1922- Champion Avenue Elementary School (1909) is renamed Champion Junior High School on September 5th.
1922- Olentangy Elementary School is completed and opened at 335 W. Poplar Avenue.

Olentangy Elementary School in 1923.


1923- The second iteration of East High School is completed at 1500 E. Broad Street.
1923- Eleventh Avenue Elementary School (1906) receives an addition.
1923- The original East High School (1899) is renamed Franklin Junior High School.
1923- The second Sullivant Elementary School (1871) discontinues use as a school building.
1924- The second iteration of South High School is completed and opens on March 31st at 1160 Ann Street.

The second South High School in 1953.


1924- The original North High School (1893) is demolished and replaced with a new building- except for the 1902 addition, which is maintained. The school is renamed Everett Junior High School.
1924- The second North High School is completed and opened at 100 E. Arcadia Avenue.

The second North High School in 1930.


1924- The original South High School (1900) is renamed Barrett Junior High School when South High students are moved to their new building.
1924- Atcheson Elementary School (1894) is closed.
1924- The original Central High School (1862) closes as a school in May.
1924- Lincoln Park Elementary School is completed and opened at 1665 S. 19th Street.

Lincoln Park Elementary under construction in 1923.


1924- The second iteration of Central High School opens on September 4th at 75 Washington Boulevard on the Scioto Peninsula.

The second Central High School in 1930.


1924- Fairwood Elementary School is opened at 726 Fairwood Avenue.
https://www.ccsoh.us/FairwoodES

Fairwood Elementary around 2015.


1924- Northwood Elementary School (1898) and Indianola Junior High School (1909) are the first Columbus schools to offer classes in religion, beginning in September.
1925- Beck Street Elementary School (1884) is remodeled.
1925- East Main Street Elemenary School (1876) is remodeled.
1926- Crestview Elementary School (1915) receives an addition.
1926- Hague Avenue Elementary School (1910) receives an addition.
1926- Stewart Avenue School (1875) is expanded.
1926- Dana Avenue Elementary School (1912) is expanded.
1928- William McKinley Junior High School is completed and opened on September 4th at 1320 Duxberry Avenue. The school costs $480,000 to build.

William McKinley Junior High in 1959.


1928- The original Central High School (1862) is demolished in December.
1928- Champion Avenue Elementary School, AKA Champion Junior High School (1909) receives an addition.
1929- The second iteration of West High School is completed at 179 S. Powell Avenue.
1929- The original West High School (1909) has its name changed to Starling Junior High School.
1929- The second Indianola Junior High School is completed in September at 420 E. 19th Avenue.

The 2nd Indianola Junior High in 1929.


1932- The second Linden Elementary School (1921) is expanded.
1937- Lisle Avenue Elementary School (1911) is closed.
1937- George A. Roudebush becomes superintendent of Columbus schools.
1940- The Lisle Avenue Elementary School building (1911) is purchased by OSU and used for storage.
1942- William McKinley Junior High School (1928) is expanded and its name is changed to Linden-McKinley Junior Senior High School.
1948- Opportunity School (1867) is demolished on April 29th.
1949- School enrollment passes 45,000 with over 1,000 teachers, with more than 10,000 additional enrollment in 35 private schools.
1949- School expeditures in Columbus reach $7,622,00 in 78 buildings.
1949- Novice G. Fawcett becomes superintendent of Columbus schools.
1949- Fair Avenue Elementary School (1890) is remodeled.
Late 1940s- The last one-room schools in Franklin County are phased out.

1950-1974

1950- Hubbard Avenue Elementary School (1895) is remodeled.
1950- North Linden Elementary School is completed and opened at 1718 E. Cooke Road.

North Linden Elementary in 1956.


1950- Felton Avenue Elementary School (1893) is remodeled.
1950- Fairmoor Elementary School is completed at 3281 Mayfair Park Place.
https://www.ccsoh.us/FairmoorES

Fairmoor Elementary in 1956.


1951- The first widespread report of marijuana use in schools is reported in August, with East High School (1923) leading.
1951- Drivers Education classes are begun for high school seniors as an elective.
1951- Garfield Elementary School (1882) is demolished to build a new school.
1952- Lincoln Park Elementary (1924) is expanded.
1952- James Road Elementary School is opened at 979 S. James Road.

James Road Elementary in 1956.


1952- Eighth Avenue Elementary School (1890) is closed.
1952- Kingswood Elementary School is completed and opened at 1091 King Avenue.

Kingswood Elementary School in 1956.


1952- Glenmont Elementary School is completed and opened at 470 Glenmont Avenue.

Glenmont Avenue in 1956.


1952- Oakland Park Elementary is completed and opened at 3392 Atwood Terrance.

Oakland Park Elementary in 1956.


1953- The second Garfield Elementary School is completed and opened at 825 Mt Vernon Avenue.

The second Garfield Elementary in 1953.


1953- Hamilton Elementary School is completed and opened at 2047 Hamilton Avenue.

Hamilton Elementary School in 1956.


1953- Marion-Franklin High School is completed at 1265 Koebel Road on September 4th.
https://www.ccsoh.us/MarionFranklinHS

Marion Franklin High in 2019.


1953- Beck Street Elementary School (1884) is remodeled and expanded.
1953- Eleventh Avenue Elementary School (1906) is remodeled.
1953- Livingston Avenue Elementary School (1902) is remodeled.
1953- Fair Avenue Elementary School (1890) is remodeled.
1953- Michigan Avenue Elementary School (1905) is remodeled.
1953- Deshler Elementary School is completed at 1234 Deshler Avenue and opens on September 8th.

Deshler Elementary in 1956.


1953- The second Franklinton Elementary School is completed at 617 W. State Street.

Franklinton Elementary in 1956.


1954- The original Linden Elementary School (1905) is remodeled.
1954- East Main Street Elementary School (1876) is remodeled.
1954- Eastgate Elementary School is completed at 1939 Stratford Way.
https://www.ccsoh.us/EastgateES

Eastgate Elementary in 1956.


1954- Broadleigh Elementary School is completed at 3039 Maryland Avenue.
https://www.ccsoh.us/BroadleighES

Broadleigh Elementary in 1956.


1954- Fifth Avenue Elementary School (1886) is remodeled.
1954- William McKinley Junior High, AKA Linden-McKinley Junior Senior High School (1928) is expanded.
1954- Mohawk Elementary Junior High School is opened on February 1st.

Mohawk Elementary Junior High in 1956.


1954- Hamilton Elementary School (1953) is expanded.
1955- Huy Elementary School is completed at 1545 Huy Road.

Huy Elementary School in 1956.


1955- Eastwood Elementary School (1905) is remodeled.
1955- Douglass Elementary School (1876) suffers damage from a fire.
1955- Fourth Street Elementary School (1870) is closed and auctioned off to Heer Printing Company.
1955- The Boys Trades High School (1868) graduates its final class on June 3rd.
1955- Glenmont Elementary School (1952) is expanded.
1955- Fairmoor Elementary School (1950) is expanded.
1955- Deshler Elementary School (1953) is expanded.
1955- Leonard Avenue Elementary School (1904) is remodeled.
1955- Como Elementary School is completed at 2989 Reis Avenue.

Como Elementary in 1956.


1956- Franklinton Elementary School (1878) is demolished on March 13th in preparation for freeway construction.
1956- Northridge Elementary School is opened at 935 Northridge Road.

Northridge Elementary School in 1956.


1956- Hilltonia Junior High School is completed and opened at 2345 W. Mound Street on November 12th. The building cost $1,162,109.

Hilltonia Junior High School in 1959.


1956- Kingswood Elementary School (1952) is expanded.
1956- Dominion Junior High School is completed at 330 Dominion Boulevard.

Dominion Junior High in 1959.


1956- Crestview Elementary School (1915) receives a second addition and extensive remodeling.
1956- Berwick Elementary School is completed at 2595 Scottwood Road.
https://www.ccsoh.us/BerwickES

Berwick Elementary in 2019.


1956- Shady Lane Elementary School is completed at 1444 Shady Lane Road.

Shady Lane Elementary in 1956.


1957- Fair Avenue Elementary School (1890) is expanded.
1957- Beery Junior High School is opened at 2740 Lockbourne Road.

The Beery Junior High building in 2019.


1957- Hamilton Elementary School (1953) is expanded.
1957- Michigan Avenue Elementary School (1905) is expanded.
1957- Dana Avenue Elementary School (1912) is remodeled.
1957- Glenmont Elementary School (1952) is expanded.
1957- William McKinley Junior High, AKA Linden-McKinley Junior Senior High School (1928) is expanded.
1958- Everett Junior High School (1924) is expanded.
1958- Mt Vernon Junior High School (1888) is closed after the school year.
1958- The former Eighth Avenue Elementary School building (1890) is demolished.
1958- Eastgate Elementary School (1954) is expanded.
1958- Deshler Elementary School (1953) is expanded.
1959- North High School ( becomes the first Columbus school with a full-time activity coordinator.
1959- Johnson Park Junior High School is opened at 1130 S. Waverly Street.

Johnson Park Junior High in 2011.


1959- Shady Lane Elementary School (1956) is damaged by a fire.
1960- The second Sullivant Elementary School (1871) is demolished in order to build a new Columbus Public Schools administration building.
1960- Livingston Avenue Elementary School (1902) is expanded.
1960- East Main Street Elementary School (1876) is demolished to build a new school.
1961- The new Columbus Public Schools administration building at the Sullivant Elementary site opens on September 10th.
1961- Calumet Elementary School is completed at 2744 Calument Street.

Calument Elementary School around 1980.


1961- Lincoln Park Elementary (1924) is expanded.
1961- The second iteration of East Main Street Elementary is completed.

The second East Main Street Elementary building in 2019.


1965- A fire at the Columbus Board of Education Maintenance Shop at 160 S. Champion Avenue injures two firefighters.
1965- The Rev. Arthur Zebbs, with the Congress on Racial Equality, declares “war” agaist Columbus Board of Education on November 16th after it approved an $11 million, 9-school construction plan in which 3 of the new schools would be segregated. Zebbs is quoted saying, “We’re going to declare war on building more segregated schools. I promise you there will be conflict and I’ll be a part of that conflict. We’ll tolerate no more Jim Crow schools in Columbus.”
1966- Parkmoor Elementary School is opened at 1711 Penworth Drive in September.
https://www.ccsoh.us/ParkmoorES

Parkmoor Elementary in 2019.


1966- Lexington Elementary School is completed at 1077 Lexington Avenue in October.

The Lexington Elementary building in 2015.


1966- Oakmont Elementary School is completed and opened at 5666 Oakmont Drive in September.
https://www.ccsoh.us/OakmontES
*No photo available at this time*
1966- A fire breaks out in building materials during the construction of Alpine Elementary School on August 17th. The building is undamaged.
1966- Alpine Elementary School is opened at 1590 Alpine Drive in November after several delays.
https://www.ccsoh.us/AlpineES

Alpine Elementary in 2017.


1966- Livingston Avenue Elementary (1902) is expanded with a 10-classroom annex.
1967- The first WBNS-TV education documentary for the school system is aired in color in April.
1967- The Fourth Street Elementary School building (1870) is demolished on December 6th.
1967- Woodward Park Junior High School is completed and opened at 5151 Karl Road in September.
https://www.ccsoh.us/WoodwardParkMS

Woodward Park Junior High in 2017.


1967- Yorktown Junior High School is completed at 5600 E. Livingston Avenue in September.
https://www.ccsoh.us/YorktownMS

Yorktown Junior High School in 2019.


1969- Leonard Avenue Elementary School (1904) is closed.
1974- Fulton Street Elementary School (1922) is closed.
1974- On January 6th, Columbus teachers go on strike for the first time in city history demanding, among other things, a 12% raise. The strike runs 5 days before a judge orders teachers back to work.
1974- Eastwood Elementary School (1905) is closed.

1975-1999

1975- Felton Avenue Elementary School (1893) is closed.
1976- Michigan Avenue Elementary School (1905) is closed as a school.
1976- Douglass Elementary School (1876) is demolished to build the second iteration.
1976- Fifth Avenue Elementary School (1886) is closed and subsequently demolished.
1976- Siebert Street School (1888) is demolished to build a new school.
1977- The former Atcheson Elementary School building (1894) is demolished for a parking lot.
1978- The second Siebert Street School, now known as Siebert Street Elementary School, is completed.

The second Siebert Street School in 2019.


1979- The second North High School (1924) is closed.
1979- Fulton Street Elementary School (1922) is demolished to build the Columbus schools food services building.
1980- Calument Elementary School (1961) is closed.
1980- Kingswood Elementary School (1952) is closed as a school, but continues as a district building.
1980- Ninth Avenue Elementary School (1897) is demolished to build apartments.
1981- Michigan Avenue Elementary School (1905) is renovated and opened as an apartment building.
1982- The second Central High School (1924) closes as a school on June 6th.
1985- Northwood Elementary School (1898) is destroyed by fire in July.
1987- The second Garfield Elementary School (1953) is renovated to become the Martin Luther King Center for the Performing Arts.
1987- Olentangy Elementary School (1922) is demolished.
1987- Studer Avenue School, AKA Roosevelt Junior High School (1916) is demolished.
1989- Eastwood Elementary School (1905) is demolished.
1994- Eleventh Avenue Elementary School (1906) is destroyed by a fire on August 13th.
1999- The former Central High School (1924) becomes COSI in November.

2000-Present

2004- The third iteration of Linden Elementary School is completed in April at a cost of $7.5 million.

The third Liden Elementary in 2019.


2004- The original Linden Elementary School (1905), as well as the second Linden Elementary (1921) are both demolished after the completion of the third iteration.
2006- The second East Main Street Elementary (1961) is closed.
2006- Fairmoor Elementary School (1950) is demolished in to build a new school.
2006- Lincoln Park Elementary School (1924) is demolished to build a new school.
2006- Barrett Junior High School, AKA as the original South High School (1900) is closed.
2007- Livingston Avenue Elementary School (1902) is demolished to build a new school.
2007- Oakland Park Elementary School (1952) is demolished to build a new school.
2007- The second iteration of Fairmoor Elementary school is opened.

The second Fairmoor Elementary School in 2015.


2007- The second iteration of Lincoln Park Elementary School is completed and opened.

The second Lincoln Park Elementary in 2019.


2007- Barrett Junior High School, AKA South High School (1900) temporarily is reopened for students when the second South High School (1924) is closed for renovations.
2007- Oakmont Elementary School (1966) is demolished to build a new school.
2008- The second iteration of Oakland Park Elementary school is completed and opened.

The second Oakland Park Elementary in 2019.


2008- The second Oakmont Elementary School is completed and opened.

The new Oakmont Elementary in 2008.


2008- The second Livingston Avenue Elementary School is completed and opened.

The second Livingston Avenue Elementary School in 2019.


2009- Crestview Elementary School (1915) has its named changed to Indianola Informal School.
2009- Champion Avenue Elementary School, AKA Champion Junior High School (1909) is demolished.
2009- Barrett Junior High School, AKA South High School (1900) is closed again when the second South High School’s remodeling is completed.
2009- The Lisle Avenue Elementary School building (1911) is demolished.
2010- Six Columbus schools are rated among the worst 5% in Ohio in a February 2nd report.
2010- Stewart Avenue School (1875) suffers from a fire and is closed for repairs.
2010- Hubbard Avenue Elementary School (1895) is closed in June.
2010- The 2nd iteration of Indianola Junior High School (1929) closes.
2010- Fair Avenue Elementary School (1890) is closed.
2010- The second interation of Douglass Elementary School closes in June.
2010- Deshler Elementary School (1953) is closed in June.
2011- William McKinley Junior High, AKA Linden-McKinley Junior Senior High School (1928) is remodeled.
2012- The second East Main Street Elementary School building (1961) becomes a private charter school.
2012- The original West High School, AKA Starling Junior High School (1904) is closed.
2012- Dana Avenue Elementary School (1912) is closed.
2013- Shady Lane Elementary School (1956) is demolished.
2013- The Fair Avenue Elementary School building (1890) is auctioned off and becomes a private charter school.
2013- Barrett Junior High School, AKA South High School (1900) is sold to a developer who converts the school into apartments.
2014- The original Clinton Elementary School (1904) is demolished.
2015- Beck Street Elementary School (1884) becomes the Columbus Gifted Academy for grades 3-8.
2015- Stewart Avenue School (1875) is reopened after fire damage repairs and an expansion.
2018- Mohawk Elementary Junior High School, AKA The Columbus Africentric School (1954) is demolished.

Suburban Districts Within Franklin County

Bexley
1907- Bullitt Park Elementary School is completed at 2200 E. Main Street.

Bullitt Park Elementary illustration in 1907


1917- Bexley elects its first school board, overseeing a single school and 130 students.
1931- Bexley High School is completed.
1947- Main Street School closes in September.
1949- School enrollment reaches 1,752.
1949- Maryland Avenue School is completed

Grove City
1910- Jackson High School is completed at 3207 E. Park Street and dedicated on November 23rd

Jackson High School in 1912.

Grandview Heights
1915- Franklin School at W. 1st Avenue and Oakland Avenue becomes Grandview’s first high school.
1922- Grandview High School is completed.
1933- Grandview Junior High is completed.
1949- St. Christopher’s School is completed.
1949- Enrollment reaches 1,210.

Upper Arlington
1918- Upper Arlington’s first school is opened in the basement of the King Thompson residence.
1920- The school system has only 2 students.
1925- The first school building is completed on Devon Road to accomodate 11 classes for grades 9-11. High school seniors attended Grandview High School.
1926- The Devon Road school is expanded to become a full 4-year high school.
1930- School enrollment reaches 675.
1949- School enrollment reaches 1,400.