Once again, the Other Residential page has just started to get too large, so it’s time to separate out some more.
This page will focus on historic homes for the general Short North area (Italian Village, Victorian Village, High Street to 5th Avenue, Harrison West). Only homes built before 1930 are included.
**Last updated: 3/8/2019- added 1 new building to Poplar Street.
*Total homes featured: 72
The homes are organized alphabetically by street name and numerically by address.
1. Nora Sigrist House: 537 Bradley Street: 1906
2. Earl Johnson House: 557 Bradley Street: Around 1905
3. Edmurn Demorest House: 562 Bradley Street: Around 1900
1. Residential Building: 16-24 Buttles Avenue: Around 1900
2. John E. Sater House: 114 Buttles Avenue: 1896
3. Lincoln Andrews House: 122 Buttles Avenue: 1897
4. Dr. Joseph Z. Schoene House: 128 Buttles Avenue: Around 1890
5. Charles A. Stribling House: 140 Buttles Avenue: 1890
6. William Prosser House: 172-174 Buttles Avenue: 1915
7. Robert Thompson House: 182 Buttles Avenue: Around 1895
1. Anna Cook House: 228 Collins Avenue: Around 1900
2. Anna Quinby House: 236-238 Collins Avenue: Around 1898
1. Residential House: 951 Delaware Avenue: 1890
2. Charles Furguson House: 974-976 Delaware Avenue: 1890
3. Gilbert Muth House: 984 Delaware Avenue: 1889
1. Rodney Gregg House: 725 Dennison Avenue: 1880
2. Peter Sells House: 755 Dennison Avenue: 1894
3. William H. Fish House: 773 Dennison Avenue: Around 1892
1. Elizabeth Ailing House: 162-164 Detroit Avenue: Around 1925
2. Dora Bailey House: 254 Detroit Avenue: Around 1900
1. James Puntenney House: 83 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1895
2. Residential House: 299 W. 5th Avenue: 1895
3. Amos Solomon House: 313 W. 5th Avenue: 1890
1. 522 and 526-528 W. 1st Avenue Houses: 1900
1. Residential Building: 648 Kerr Street: 1889
1. P. Hess House: 682 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
2. Charles Kinney House: 754 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
3. George Barrett House: 768 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
4. Dan Denahy House: 772 Neil Avenue: 1880
5. John Lloyd House: 957 Neil Avenue: 1895
6. J.F. Rogers House: 1045 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
7. A.J. Solomon House: 1100 Neil Avenue: 1897
8. Edson Emrick House: 1126 Neil Avenue: 1895
9. Festus H. Nichol House: 1153 Neil Avenue: 1902
*No historic photo available at this time.
10. Lewis Sells House: 1223 Neil Avenue: 1893
11. A.L. Conkin House: 1237 Neil Avenue: 1893
12. Residential House: 1255 Neil Avenue: 1882
13. Charles Eckert House: 1260 Neil Avenue: 1896
14. R.W. Caldwell House: 1265 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
1. Harrie Hutchinson House: 836 N. Park Street: 1909
1. F.L. Hughes: 53 W. Second Avenue: 1890
1. Al G. Field House: 29 W. 3rd Avenue: Pre 1905
2. James S. Ricketts House: 47 W. 3rd Avenue: 1888
1. Residential House: 125 Brickel Street: Around 1900-1960: Demolished to build the 3rd Street onramp during construction of I-670.
1. R. Harvey Reed House: 64 Buttles Avenue: Around 1895-Between 1963-1971: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now part of 76 Buttles Avenue, which was built in 1994. It was the first house of 3 at this corner to be demolished. The other two were demolished sometime in the 1970s. The site is now just green space for the 1994 property.
2. Residential House: 68-70 Buttles Avenue: Around 1900-1972: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site is now 76 Buttles.
3. O.L. Rankin House: 98 Buttles Avenue: 1894-1970: The house was originally a single-family home, but later became White Cross Hospital. The hospital closed in 1961 and moved to a location off of 315. The hospital is now known as Riverside. Presumably due to deteriorated conditions after being vacated for years, the house was demolished in 1970. The site remained vacant until 1994, when a condo build was completed, which remains to the present day.
4. Theophilus Rees House: 106 Buttles Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1960: Unknown reason for demolition, but the site was vacant until a condo project was constructed in 2005.
1. Residential House: 724 Delaware Avenue: Around 1895-1960: Demolished as part of the mass demolition of most buildings west of Neil Avenue for “slum clearance”. The site is now part of Wheeler Park. The new photo is facing the opposite direction of the old and would’ve faced the back part of the original house. This is because Delaware Avenue was rerouted during the demolitions.
2. Hartwell Butin House: 962 Delaware Avenue: Around 1880-1975: Unknown reasons for demolition. The current house on the site was built in 1996.
3. William Woodward House: 980 Delaware Avenue: 1890-1975: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now vacant.
4. Charles Kutschbach House: 987 Delaware Avenue: 1889-Around 1970: Unknown reason for demolition. The site had other development in 2004.
5. Joseph Hafford House: 1007 Delaware Avenue: Around 1880-1961: Demolished to build other development.
1. Elah Terrell House: 749 Dennison Avenue: 7/21/1888-1947: Unknown reason for demolition, though it may have been to expand the yard of the neighboring house.
2. Joseph Ruess Starr House: 1087 Dennison Avenue: 1873-12/1966: Demolished to expand Doctors Hospital North, which took over the house around 1940.
1. John Brady House: 145 Detroit Avenue: Around 1900-1974: The house was converted into a store with 2nd-floor living space in 1936. Unknown reason for demolition. The lot was vacant until 2010 when another house was built.
2. Joseph Johnson House: 192 Detroit Avenue: Around 1900-1976: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now a parking lot.
3. Willis Hauser House: 283 Detroit Avenue: Around 1900-1987: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site remains vacant.
1. Residential House: 541 W. 5th Avenue: 1909-Around 1970: Demolished to expand parking for Batelle. It will be home to an apartment complex.
1. Alex Neil House: 149 W. Goodale Street: Around 1890-Around 1960. This home was demolished, along with many others, for the construction of I-670. The site was then at the corner of Goodale and what is now known as Middle Alley. The site is green space today.
1. W.J. Means House: 715 N. High Street: Pre-1890-Around 1925: Demolished to make way for a new building that still exists.
2. Ephraim Sells House: 771 N. High Street: Between 1885-1895-5/17/1966: Demolished for a parking lot. New development now fills the spot.
3. John R. Hughes House: 941 N. High Street: 1870-Around 1920: This house was likely demolished to build the single-story buildings that remained at the site until additions were added in 2016.
4. Ella Rhoads House: 1081 N. High Street: 1870-Around 1935: House demolished to build an office building which still exists.
*No historic photo is available at this time.
5. William Andrews House: 1095 N. High Street: Around 1885-1942: Unknown reason for demolition.
1. The Miami Apartments: 621 Neil Avenue: 1907-1960: Demolished in an act of “slum clearance” that included much of the local neighborhood west of Neil. The site is green space and parking now.
1. George Peters House: 632 N. Park Street: 1873-1924: Demolished to make way for the United Travelers Office Building.
2. William Neil House: 664 N. Park Street: 1875-1967: Unknown reason for demolition. The house became the Park View Sanitarium in 1902. The site now has apartments.
1. Residential Building: 923-927 Pennsylvania Avenue: Around 1900-1963: Before 1963, Pennsylvania Avenue continued south all the way to Goodale. In one of the biggest urban renewal clearances in the city, almost every single building was bulldozed in an area north of Goodale, west of Neil and Harrison Avenue and east of the Olentangy River. This city justified it by declaring the entire area a slum, and in the process, hundreds of historic homes and buildings were lost in Victorian Village and Harrison West. Incidentally, the city once toyed with the idea of mass demolition all the way north to OSU. In any case, the site is now a parking lot.
1. Residential House: 110-112 Poplar Street: Around 1890-1962: Demolished to build I-670. The site is now part of the highway.
1. Treat S. Ford House: 542 W. 2nd Avenue: Around 1895-1930s: Unknown reason for demolition. The site was last listed on deeds in 1935, and is gone from aerial photos by 1953. Remained a vacant lot until 1994 when the current house was built. The current address is 540 W. 2nd.