**Last updated 6/17/2018
Total Properties Featured: 65
The following entries are organized as follows: House name or name of prominent former resident if there is one, address, lifespan dates and reason for demolition, if applicable or known. A historic photo and a Google Maps link to the former/current location is also given.
Click on a photo to get a larger image.
1. Charles E. Markeson House: 2086 E. Broad Street, Bexley: Around 1885-Before 1925: Unknown reason for demolition. A newer home went on the site in 1925, but it’s not known if the house was torn down for this house or was already gone before that. The Markeson house was set back away from Broad significantly further than the current house is.
1. Claude Meeker House: 256 S. Columbia Avenue, Bexley: Around 1890-Around 1920: Replaced by a newer home that still exists.
1. E.W. Pegg House: 2990 N. High Street: 1825-8/31/1931: Unknown reason for demolition. This was the last original house of Clintonville. The site now has a retail building.
**No historic photo available yet.
2. James W. Cochran House: 3364 North High Street: Around 1890-Around 1930: The location listed was 200′ from High on the southeastern corner of High and E. North Broadway. This house was most likely demolished to build Clinton Elementary in 1930.
1. William W. Daniel House: 510 E. North Broadway: Around 1895-1973: Demolished to make way for commercial buildings which still exist.
1. John E. Price House: 2101 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1885-Before 1953: Unknown reason for demolition. The site had development by 1953, so the house was gone before then. Records show only a garage on the site as far back as the mid-1930s, so the house could’ve been gone long before the 1950s. The development shown in the new photo was built in the 1960s, but was not in the same location as the house. The railroad tracks that ran at the front of the property (and just out of sight in the old photo) still exist, although the orientation has changed.
1. Sylvio Casparis House: 1539 Roxbury Road: Around 1890-Around 1930: Unknown reason for demolish. The site was later occupied by a school and is now a parking lot for a church.
OSU Campus Area
1. Charles E. Nicholas House: 229 W. 11th Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1975: Demolished, along with several others, to building a parking garage that still remains.
1. Alfred E. Lee House: 55 E 15th Avenue: Around 1890-1952: Demolished to build the Beta Nu sorority house, which continues to the present day.
2. John J. Dun House: 289 E. 15th Avenue: Around 1890-1972: The house was demolished for an apartment building that still exists.
3. George W. Surguy House: 325 E. 15th Avenue: Around 1890-1965: Demolished for an apartment building that remains to the present day.
1. David R. Summy House: 1831 N. 4th Street: Around 1890-1963: Demolished to build an apartment building that still exists.
2. C.W. Bryan House: 2218 N. 4th Street: Around 1905-Around 1969: Demolished to be an apartment building that still exists.
1. Isaac Potts House: 14 W. Frambes Avenue: Around 1890-Aroung 1966: This location and West Frambes no long exist. They, along with many dozens of houses and other structures north of Woodruff, were demolished when OSU expanded its campus north to Lane Avenue. The site where the Google image was taken also no longer exists after a more recent makeover of North Campus housing.
1. Albert Domoney House #1: 1491 N. High Street: Around 1875-1989: Unknown reason for demolition, but likely for the parking lot that still exists.
2. Albert Domoney House #2 1495 N. High Street: Around 1875-1920: Domoney himself demolished this 2nd house he built to construct a commercial building.
3. J.A. Rickly House: 1873 N. High Street: 1856-1949: Bought by OSU in February 1871, it served as the president’s residence until 1927, when it became the Music Building. The site was green space until the construction of Mershon Auditorium.
1. George Rickard House: 1845 Indianola Avenue: Around 1890-1964. There is some debate for me as to whether this house still exists. The property went through a major alteration in 1936 before it was incorporated into the Phi Beta Phi house in the 1960s, which essentially destroyed all but the basic outer wall. In the new photo, you can vaguely see the different brick color in the front indicating where the original door was.
2. Eli Tappan House: 1892 Indianola Avenue: Around 1885-1964: Demolished to make room for an apartment building.
3. Homer C. Price House: 1986 Indianola Avenue: Around 1900-1970: Demolished for an apartment complext that remains to the present day.
1. William N. Weinman House: 380 King Avenue: Around 1900-1980: Unknown reason for demolition, but the site had a new apartment building completed in 1985 which remains to the present day.
1. L.L. Rankin House: 1535 Neil Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1962: Demolished to build an apartment building that still exists.
2. John McNeil House: 1638 Neil Avenue: 1910-1924: You read that right, the house only existed for 14 years, only the first year actually being a private residence. It became a hospital in 1915 before being torn down by OSU in 1924 to build Neil Hall. Neil Hall still exists, but is now known as the Younkin Success Center.
1. Daniels House: 211 W. Norwich Avenue: Around 1900-1967: Demolished for a parking lot that remains today. All other homes on the block were demolished at the same time.
1. W.H. Sharp House: 82 E. 16th Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1953: Demolished to build the Summit United Methodist Church, which still occupies the site.
2. F.F. Lawrence House: 201 E. 16th Avenue: Around 1910-Around 1975: Unknown reason for demolition, but may have been for the existing apartment building on the site.
1. H. Cockell House: 200 W. 10th Avenue: Around 1892-1975: Demolished by Ohio State for a parking lot. The site is now a residence hall, built in 2012.
2. Louis Siebert: 206 W. 10th Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1978: Demolished for a parking lot and is now student housing.
3. Carey B. Coons House: 235 W. 10th Avenue: Around 1890-1967: Demolished to build what is now the Scholars West building.
1. James T. Miller House: 1800 Riverside Drive: 1862-1975: Demolished to build First Community Village. The large home featured 27 rooms.
2. Amaziah Hutchinson House: 5292 Riverside Drive: 1815-11/20/2013: House was demolished to make way for an apartment complex.
1. David Taylor House #1: 4831 E. Broad Street: 1825-Before 1920: David Taylor’s first house. There seems to be some confusion on the address for both houses. The addresses 4831 and 5300 are switched depending on the source. Today, the site is part of a golf course and country club, which began to build near the site as early as 1907.
There really isn’t a current location photo, as the exact location is now unknown. It sat well off of Broad Street.
2. David Taylor House #2: 5300 E. Main Street: Around 1843-Around 1950: Site now occupied with newer development.
As with the first house, the exact location is now unknown.
1. Adam Innis House: 1857 Cleveland Avenue: Around 1870-Around 1940: The Innis Family owned the house through 1937. A gas station was on the site by the early 1940s. Today, the site is vacant.
1. Alexander Davis House: 5436 Dublin Road: 1886-2005: Unknown reason for demolition. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The site remains an empty lot. Notice that the driveway columns remain.
2. Alexander Davis Cabin: 5436 Dublin Road: Between 1812-1830 to Unknown: Unknown reason for demolition. This was the original home of the Davis family before they built their other home at the same address, and sat on the bluff overlooking the Scioto to the southeast of the newer house. Both may have been lost at the same time, but I couldn’t find any information on what happened to it.
1. Salvatore Presutti House: 1692 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1905-Around 1985: House became Presutti’s restaurant in 1933, but closed in 1983 after a fire. The house was demolished sometime between 1983 and 1989 for the commercial building that now exists on the site, which was completed in 1990.
1. Michael Fisher House: 3085 S. High Street: 1820-Around 1964. Unknown reason for demolition. The house sat well back from High Street, along the banks of the Scioto River. Today, the site is overgrown and a road that led to the site is long since gone. The Google image shows where the driveway location had been.
**Historic photo is not available, yet.
1. Erwin Chever House: 1299 King Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1951: Unknown reason for demolition. An office building went on the site in the early 1960s, which remains to the present day.
1. William Shepard House: 790 N. Nelson Road: 1855-10/7/1981: This home burned down.
1. Ferdinand Howald House: 78 Park Drive: 1912
1. John G. Deshler House: 15 N. Parkview Avenue (current address is 17 N. Parkview): Around 1900
2. Alfred Dietzel House: 320 N. Parkview Drive: Around 1900
3. Malcolm Jeffrey House (Governor’s Mansion): 358 N. Parkview Drive: 1925
1. Jessie Coons House: 7 Sessions Drive: 1927
1. Joseph A. Jeffrey House: 130 W. Beechwold Boulevard (now 150 Beechwold): 1907: This was the first home constructed in Beechwold and was on land of the original Columbus Zoo. The house was been significantly altered.
1. Arthur Noyes House: 249 W. Dunedin Road: 1928
1. Charles Hirsh House: 489. E. North Broadway: 1892
1. Siebert House: 1101 Broadview Avenue, Grandview Heights: 1908
1. Eva Gray House: 1176 Fairview Avenue: 1902
1. Samuel P. Bush House: 1550 Roxbury Road: Around 1900
2. Adrian L. Wallick House: 1599 Roxbury Road: 1909: House has been significantly altered and very hard to see, as it’s become part of a 1960s apartment complex.
1. Residential House: 2265 N. High Street: Around 1900
2. Residential House: 2275-2279 N. High Street: Around 1900
3. Residential House: 2283 N. High Street: Around 1900
4. Residential House: 2285 N. High Street: Around 1900
5. Residential House: 2289 N. High Street: Around 1900
1. Carl T. Phillips House: 1361 Highland Street- 1890
1. James Lynas House: 194 King Avenue: Around 1895
1. Frank Rathmell House: 1276 Neil Avenue: 1880
2. John C. Sherwood House: 1281 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
3. George Cook House: 1289 Neil Avenue: Around 1885
4. Henry Bohl House: 1345 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
5. Edwin Moon House: 1355 Neil Avenue: Pre 1897
6. William B. Zartman House: 1516 Neil Avenue: Around 1890
7. Margaret Schmidt House: 1520 Nel Avenue: Around 1890
8. Henry M. Neil House: 1842 Indianola Avenue: Around 1856: Although this house appears to still exist, a major expansion in the 1960s drastically changed the look.
1. David Beers House: 40 E. Norwich Avenue: 1804: Original location was 2673 N. High, but was moved in 1899. One of the oldest houses remaining in Franklin County/Columbus. Kind of a miracle it survived considering how it looked in the late 1890s.
1. Warren Knight House: 2318 Arlington Avenue: 1926
1. William Wheeland House: 1743 Andover Road: 1925
2. William H. Spangler House: 1753 Andover Road: 1924
3. Arla Luebker House: 1765 Andover Road: 1924
1. King Thompson House: 1930 Cambridge Road: 1915
1. Maxwell Bode House: 1820 King Avenue: 1920
1. E. Ray Evans House: 2320 Tremont Drive: 1923
1. Snow House: 41 W. New England Avenue, Worthington: 1803
1. Residential Building: 1524-1526 W. 3rd Avenue, 5thxNW: 1925
2. Residential Building: 1538-1540 W. 3rd Avenue, 5thxNW: 1925
14. E.B. Geriach House: 2021 Indianola Avenue: 1910
15. William Stephens House: 66 W. Beechwold Boulevard: Around 1910
16. Charles Pavey House: 2259 N. High Street: 1902
17. Samuel Derby House: 93 E. 15th Avenue: 1881 *Although this house technically exists, additions and renovations over the years have essentially eliminated any outward appearances of the original home, save for part of the original roofline.
18. Residential House: 400-402 Chittenden Avenue: Around 1900
View Larger Map
19. Residential House: 253 E. 11th Avenue: 1903
View Larger Map
20. Residential House: 1469 Summit Street: Around 1910
View Larger Map
21. Page House: 1122 Fairview Avenue: 1906
25. John R. Brown House: 1571 Dyer Road: Around 1890
27. Alfred Linton House: 124 E. 14th Avenue: 1908
33. Peter Merkle House: 28 E. Northwood Avenue: 1907: This house actually replaced a pioneer cabin that had been at the site since the early 19th century.
*No historic photo of either house is available at this time.
36. Clayton A. McCleary House: 212 E. 15th Avenue: Around 1905: House has been significantly altered.
40. Vera Sale-Ruddy House: 4003 Cleveland Avenue: Around 1905
41. John A. Kuster House: 317 W. 6th Avenue: 1893: Notes- Because of tree growth, the house is not visible via Google Maps. I used the county auditor photo.
45. Frank H. Gorrell House: 40 Brevoort Road: Around 1910
52. Isaac Walter House: 37 S. Riverview Street: 1842