**Last Updated 6/17/2018.
*6/17/2018 update includes 1 new home.
Total Properties Featured: 73
Downtown Residential Street Scenes
1. #39-#77 Jefferson Avenue: Home to #39 Rev. Hiram W. Kellogg, #43 Worthington E. Babcock, #51 John C. Whitridge, #57 Harry E. Stafford, #59 Fred A. Wheeler, #67 Fred Blankner and #77 James Thurber. The Kellogg and Babcock homes were demolished around 1960. All the rest remain standing.
1. William Doherty House: 68 E. Broad Street- 1829-3/1921- Unknown reason for demolition, but it may have been for the Citizens Mortgage building that went into the site in 1921 and has the current address of 66 E. Broad, which still exists. The actual site seems to have been somewhere between that building and the current Rhodes Tower.
**No historic photo available at this time. The Dispatch printed a photo of this house on January 4, 1914, but I have yet to access it.
2. John Deshler House: 86 E. Broad Street: 1860-Between 1943-1952: Unknown reason for demolition, but the house is listed through 1943, but not in 1952, when it had become a parking lot. The site is now the Key Bank building.
3. William G. Deshler House: 198 E. Broad Street: 1848-4/10/1949- Demolished to expand St. Joseph’s Cathedral rectory.
4. Residential House: 237 E. Broad Street: Around 1850-1948: Originally a single-family home, it became a service center for military personnel during WWI. Demolished to make way for a parking lot for a new office building that would be built at the 257 E. Broad address. The site remained a parking lot for the office building and then later the original Wendy’s beginning in 1969. Today, it is a small park.
5. Henry Miller House: 257 E. Broad Street: Around 1850-1948: Demolished the same year as the Plimpton House at 259 East Broad (which was at one point owned by the Millers) for an office building and parking lot. It is mostly a small park today.
6. Henry Plimpton House: 259-261 E. Broad Street: Around 1850-1948: It remained a house (then duplex) until around 1921 when it was converted to offices. The existing 2-story building was completed around 1950 and became the home of the first Wendy’s in 1969. It is now the offices of the Catholic Foundation.
7. Alfred Kelley House: 282 E. Broad Street: 1838-1961: This nearly 125 year old Greek Revival house was demolished to build the Christopher Inn. By the time of its demolition, the house retained little original detailing. Site is now a parking lot.
A more comprehensive history of this house can be found here: Alfred E. Kelley House
8. Thomas Johnson House: 368 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-Around 1926: Replaced with the Ohio State Life Insurance Company building which still exists today.
9. Charles O. Hunter House: 383 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-Around 1920: Demolished to make way for the Seneca Hotel.
10. Joseph Outhwaite House: 447 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-Around 1954: Most likely demolished for the office building that was completed in 1955 and still exists to the present day.
11. John Joyce House: 471 E. Broad Street: 1880-Around 1955: The house, which had 21 rooms, was purchased by Motorist’s Mutual Insurance around 1937, and was used as their offices through around 1955. By 1957, the current Motorist’s office tower had taken its place.
12. Francis Sessions House: 478 E. Broad Street: 1840-Around 1928: Demolished to make way for the Columbus Museum of Art.
13. John W. Lilley House: 485 E. Broad Street: 1874-8/13/1931: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now the Motorists Mutual Insurance Building.
14. Thomas E. Powell House: 518 E. Broad Street: 1853-Around 1928: Replaced by the State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company.
15. Residential House: 537 E. Broad Street: Pre-1900-Around 1960: Unknown reason for demolition. The house was modified several times and used as a market and then offices before its demolition. The site became a parking lot and still remains one to the present day.
16. Alexander G. Patton House: 552 E. Broad Street: 1878-Around 1964: Unknown reason for demolition. Replaced by a parking lot, but is now green space.
17. Clinton Firestone House: 580 E. Broad Street: April 1887-1962: Replaced with a parking lot that remains to the present day.
18. John L. Vance House: 584 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1963: The reason this house was demolished is unknown. The house doesn’t appear to have been used as a house after 1934, when a series of banks and insurance companies owned the property. Based on aerial views, it looks to have been torn down in 1963, and used as a parking lot thereafter. It became part of 590 E. Broad when the single-story building was built in 1980, but the site itself remains a parking lot.
19. Oscar Peters House: 600 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-Between 1933-1937: The house is listed through 1933 and perhaps as late as 1937, but not after. May have been demolished to build a planned office building that was never actually built. Site has been a parking lot since at least 1937.
1. Johanna Meyer House: 167 S. Front Street: Around 1860-Unknown: It’s unknown exactly when and for what reason this home was demolished, which was used as a boarding house later in its life. It was an auditorium from the early 1950s until the 1980s, and then a parking lot until the Annex at RiverSouth was constructed in the late 2000s.
2. John Piersche House: 237 S. Front Street: Pre 1900-Pre 1957: Unknown reason for demolition. Site is now a parking lot.
3. John Ostot House: 318 S. Front Street: 1834-Unknown: Unknown reason for demolition. Site is now green space.
1. Edward.W. Swisher House: 281 E. Gay Street: Around 1890-Around 1963: Unknown reason for demolition, but this was likely a casualty of Urban Renewal. As late as the late 1950s, this section of East Gay Street was still full of residential houses like this one, but by 1963, almost all of them were gone. This house appears to have been one of the last ones demolished according to aerial photos. It was replaced with, as with almost all the others, a surface parking lot. The lot remains to the present day.
1. John N. Champion House: 117 N. High Street: 1848-1885: Demolished to make way for the Commercial National Bank. Site became a parking lot in the early 1980s and remained until 2017, with the construction of a residential and commercial building.
2. George Foster House: 347 S. High Street: Around 1840-1880s: Demolished to build the Foster Block, which itself was demolished in the 1960s. The site is now the new Franklin County Courthouse.
1. George K. Nash House: 43 Jefferson Avenue: Pre-1880-1959: Demolished to make room for an office building that still exists.
2. J.A. Jones House: 240 Jefferson Avenue: Around 1890-1962: Demolished during the construction of I-71. The site is now a parking lot for Columbus State.
1. Lucy Peters House: 53 W. Long Street: Between 1850-1860-Around 1885: Replaced with a commercial building that still exists.
1. Bortle House: 37 W. Main Street- Pre 1900- Around 1963- Demolished along with several other buildings for a surface parking lot. Site is now green space for the new Franklin County Courthouse.
2. Isaac Eberly House: 60 E. Main Street: 1863-1927: Unknown reason for demolition. Site is now the Capital South Parking Garage.
1. Al. G. Field House #2: 563 E. Mound Street: Around 1890-Around 1962: Demolished for I-71. Site no longer exists.
1. Charles H. Neil House: 455 Neil Avenue: Pre 1889-Pre 1957: House was long gone by 1957 and the location is now a crossroads of roads on the northwestern end of the Arena District.
1. Louis Zettler House: 58 East Rich Street: 1865-Pre 1957: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now part of Columbus Commons park.
2. George Wesley Bellows House: 265 E. Rich Street: Pre 1869-Around 1968: Demolished to make way for Nazareth Towers.
3. Louis P. Hoster House: 555 E. Rich Street: Around 1885-Around 1966- Replaced with an office building that still exists.
1. Brewer Marks House: 261 2nd Street: Between 1860-1880-Around 1965: Unknown reason for demolition, but was a parking lot by 1971. Site is now part of Bicentennial Park.
1. Charles H. Hayden House: 80 S. 6th Street: 1857-Around 1915: Demolished for the Knights of Columbus building.
1. Emma Jones House: 114 E. State Street: 1851-1938: Unknown reason for demolition. This was the last existing house on Capital Square. No development has existed on the site since 1938. The old photo is looking east from 3rd Street.
2. Frederick Jaeger House: 152 E. State Street: 1850-1914: Demolished to build the Lilley Building, which was completed in 1916 and still exists today.
3. Joseph C. Campbell House: 237 E. State Street: Pre-1890-Pre-1957: Unknown reason for demolition, but the site was a parking lot by 1957 and remains one to this day.
1. John Noble House: 60 S. 3rd Street: Around 1885-6/8/1932: Originally a single family home, the building was remodeled and had additions in 1901 to become the Vendome Hotel. The hotel was demolished for unknown reasons, but the site is now a parking lot.
2. Augustus N. Whiting House: 66 S. 3rd Street: 1839-1930: Unknown reason for demolition. The site now has the old Central Ohio Savings and Loan building, which was built in 1955.
1. Osborn Lathrop House: 63 E. Town Street: 1860-3/1927: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now within the boundaries of Columbus Commons Park.
*No historic photo is available at this time.
2. J.M. Drake House: 216 E. Town Street: 1881-Unknown: The house may have lasted until the early 1930s or as late as the early 1960s, but it is difficult to know for sure. A house near this address continued to show up on aerials through 1957, but was gone by 1963, but may have been 218 E. Town instead. Either way, the current office building was built in 1969.
3. John Fersons House: 254 E. Town Street: Around 1885-Between 1937-1944: Unknown reason for demolition. An office building currently occupies the site.
4. Charles Hubbard House: 369 E. Town Street: Pre-1893 to 1960s. Demolished for a parking lot. Today the site is a parking garage.
**No historic photo available at this time.
5. Samuel Hartman House: 513 E. Town Street: 1883-1963: The home in the first photo- as it looked in 1892- was originally the home of Henry Lonnis from 1883-1891. When Hartman bought it, he renovated/expanded it extensively, as the 2nd old photo shows. That home lasted until its demolition in 1963, though for what exact reason remains unclear. Other development was on the site until 2008, so it was likely for that reason.
6. Tod Galloway House: 553 E. Town Street: 1852-1966: Demolished to make way for a 1-story commercial building that still exists.
7. Jeffrey House: 581 E. Town Street: Around 1870-1940: Demolished to build an apartment complex that still exists.
8. James Kilbourne House: 604 E. Town Street: Around 1885-Around 1932: Demolished to build an apartment building that remains to the present day.
1. Benjamin E. Smith House: 181 E. Broad Street: 1856
2. Benjamin Huntington House: 620 E. Broad Street: 1872
3. Andrew Rodgers House: 630 E. Broad Street: 1872
1. John Lauterbach House: 136 W. Mound Street: 1868
1. Allen G. Thurman House: 513 E. Rich Street: 1856
1. Fred Lazarus House: 380 E. Town Street: 1879
2. James F. Baldwin House: 405 E. Town Street: 1852
3. Frank A. Davis House: 475 E. Town Street: Around 1890
4. Harry M. Daughery House. 481 E. Town Street: Around 1900
5. Edward Sharp House: 529 E. Town Street: Before 1880
6. D.S. Gray House: 530 E. Town Street: 1850 (Rebuilt 1872)
7. William Halliday: 539 E. Town Street: Around 1890
8. Dorothy Hubbard House: 545 E. Town Street: Around 1890
9. Bauer House: 560 E. Town Street: Around 1870
10. Fernando Cortez Kelton House: 586 E. Town Street: 1852
11. McElroy House: 621 E. Town Street: 1873
**No historic photo available at this time.