**Last Updated 10/14/2018- Added 1 new home.
Total Properties Featured: 156
The following entries are organized as follows: House name or name of prominent former resident if there is one, address, lifespan dates and reason for demolition, if applicable or known. A historic photo and a Google Maps link to the former/current location is also given.
The houses are also broken up by street alphabetically and are listed in numerical order.
Click on a photo for a larger image.
Olde Towne East/King-Lincoln-Demolished
1. W. S. Rogers House: 637 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-1962: This house was demolished to make way for I-71. The site is now a highway onramp.
2. Edward Leroy Hinman House: 682 E. Broad Street: 1880-10/19/1930. Demolished for new development which itself was demolished during the construction of I-71. Site no longer exists.
3. Fred W. Prentiss House: 706 E. Broad Street: 1890-1961: Demolished to expand the office building that still exists on the site.
4. Robert Wolfe House: 714 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1959: There is a little confusion as to the age of this house. The original was built around 1890. However, records indicate that the original Robert Wolfe house may have burned down in 1905, but the address for that house was listed as 696 E. Broad. Address numbers changed in the early 1900s, so it’s possible 714 and 696 are the same location. If so, the home in the picture, from 1915, is actually the rebuilt Robert Wolfe house, not the original. Either way, the house was torn down to build an office building that remains today.
5. William Brickell House: 715 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1963: Demolished for unknown reasons, but probably for a parking lot for the adjacent building. The site is now part of a widened Parsons Avenue.
6. William Miles House: 721 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-1967: Demolished to build a retail outlet that still exists.
7. Frederick W. Schumacher House: 750 E. Broad Street: 1888-4/8/1961: The reason for this home’s demolition is unknown. 4 years after it was demolished, the site was bought by an entity called West Park Shopping Center, Inc. Later that year, 1965, it was transferred to another entity called Truman Corners Town & Country Shoppers City, Inc.This indicates that there may have been plans at one point to turn this site, and possibly nearby lots, into a new shopping center. Those plans never happened and the lot remained empty until 1987, when an office building was constructed.
8. James H. Anderson House: 788 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-Unknown: Broad Street Presbyterian Church currently takes up the block. The main church was construced around 1930 and additions were made in the early 1960s. The entire block currently has the address of 760 E. Broad, so it is unclear exactly where the house stood, and subsequently, in which period it was demolished.
9. McCarty House: 812 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-1966: Demolished to build a parking lot for the Broad Street Presbyterian Church. The site is now a small park.
9. Gov. James M. Cox House: 840 E. Broad Street: 1912-1971: Unknown reason for demolition. The site was vacant until 1990.
10. Ebenezer L. Dewitt House: 841 E. Broad Street: 1889-Around 1938: Replaced by newer development. Site is now a gas station.
11. Frank E Powell House: 869 E. Broad Street: 1889-12/17/1965: Unknown reason for demolition. Lot remains empty.
12. Walter Brown House: 940 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-1952: Demolished to build a motel. Lot is currently a surface parking lot.
13. Sarah J. Failing House: 947 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1980: Demolished to become the parking lot of a new office expansion next door at 957 E. Broad, and has remained the same since.
14. Harry P. Wolfe House: 974 E. Broad Street: Around 1905-Around 1962: Unknown reason for demolition. Remained a vacant lot until 1975 when an office building and parking replaced the block.
15. Albert Halliday House: 994 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-1974: Demolished to make way for a city office parking lot, which remains to the present.
16. Emil W. Hoster House: 1065 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-Around 1960: This house, along with about 20 others on the block, was demolished to make way for the Buckeye Union Insurance Company building, today the Jerry Hammond Center. The actual location for this house is now green space.
17. W.C. Orr House: 1089 E. Broad Street: Around 1880-Around 1960: This house was also part of the casualty list of the Buckeye Union Insurance Company. I have yet to be able to find a photo of the house, but this drawing gives a good idea of what it looked like. The site is now mostly green space.
18. George Hoster House: 1114 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1961: Demolished to build city public housing.
19. Horace Leete Chapman House: 1117 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-By 1960: It is unknown exactly when this house was demolished as a few houses were demolished before 1957 and the rest around 1960 when Buckeye Union Insurance Company demolished the entire block for its office building and parking lots. It is now the Jerry Hammond Center.
20. Daniel Sowers House: 1134 E. Broad Street: 1899-1971: Columbus Metropolitan Housing bought most of the block in the early 1960s, and by 1963 most of the houses on it had been replaced with a public housing project, although this home still stood that year. It was finally demolished in 1971 and was green space until 2005, when another CMH housing project replaced the entire Broad Street block.
21. Joseph Firestone House: 1266 East Broad Street: Around 1905-May 6-7, 2008: Demolished for the Columbus Foundation’s surface parking lot, but the site is mostly green space today.
22. W.J. McClain House: 1306 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-Around 1924: Demolished to construct the Broadwin Building.
23. John M. Pugh House: 1347 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-Around 1900 : Unknown reason for demolition, but probable fire given it wasn’t that old. Another house is now on the site, with an address of 1349 E. Broad. John M. Pugh also seems to have owned or built houses at 1251 and 1373 E. Broad at various different times.
24. Edward Merkle House: 1373 E. Broad Street: 1899-1907-Around 1972: There are 2 listed built dates for this home, 1899 and 1907. There are also 2 addresses listed- 1251 and 1373. It’s possible that these were talking about 2 separate homes, as both addresses were associated with homes owned by John M. Pugh. The house was replace by other development in the early 1970s.
25. Marie S. Wright House: 1460 E. Broad Street: Around 1912-1986: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remains a vacant lot.
26. Charles Kurtz House: 1525 E. Broad Street: 1897-1949: Torn down in 1949 to make way for a new office building completed in 1950. The building still exists.
27. Andre Crotti House: 1592 East Broad Street: 1893-Around 1962: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is now a parking lot and green space.
28. Dennis Kelly House: 1618 E. Broad Street: Around 1905-Around 1960: Replaced by Park Towers Condominiums.
29. Frank A. Stallman House: 1666 E. Broad Street: 1904-1988: Demolished for expanded parking for a business. Lot remains half parking, half green space.
1. Robert McCarter House: 737 Bryden Road: Around 1890-Around 1978: Demolished to build an apartment complex that still exists.
2. Willard A. Sands House: 805 Bryden Road: 1880-1963: This home was demolished for a health care facility. Today it is a nursing home. 813 Bryden Road, the house in between and which can be seen in the photo, still remains, but has been heavily modified.
3. Conrad C. Born House: 827 Bryden Road: Around 1890-1963: Demolished along with 805 Bryden for a health care facility.
4. Lyford Moore House: 903 Bryden Road: Around 1910-Around 1965: Unknown reason for demolition, but several homes were demolished at the same time on this block of Bryden. The site is now Blackburn Park.
5. Henry W. Miller House: 987 Bryden Road: Around 1895-Around 1975: Unknown reason for demolition, but the lot has remained vacant since.
6. Samuel L. Black House: 1000 Bryden Road: Around 1890-1962: Demolished for an apartment complex that still exists today.
7. Charles Henderson: 1009 Bryden Road: Around 1888-1960: Demolished to build an apartment building that still exists.
8. Charles H. Neil House: 1044 Bryden Road: Around 1890-1964: Demolished to build an apartment building that still exists today.
9. Henry Lindenberg House: 1071 Bryden Road: Around 1890-1963: Demolished to build an apartment building that exists to the present day.
10. Fred Lazarus Sr. House: 1080 Bryden Road: 1906-1924: Unknown reason for demolition, but given its short life, may have suffered a fire. The lot had new development not long after, but the site is now vacant. This was Fred Lazarus’ second home in the city, after building the Downtown home at 380 E. Town Street in 1879. The house had its own tennis court, elevator and 14 rooms.
11. John Kauffman House: 1151 Bryden Road: Around 1895-1940: Demolished for an apartment building that still exists today.
12. Herbert Bradley House: 1392 Bryden Road: Around 1890-1965: Demolished for an apartment building that still exists today.
13. Conrad C. Born House: 1747 Bryden Road: Unknown: A whole lot is unknown about this house. The old photo lists it as having been built in 1914. However, the Franklin County Auditor lists the existing house as having been built in 1900. Obviously both cannot be true, but the Auditor lists the same ownership as the old photo, so this is the correct address. The original house in the photo no longer exists. When it was built and when it was demolished remains a mystery, but the house currently on the property obviously replaced the earlier house at some point. It’s probable that the newer house was actually built in 1914 and the smaller house likely dated back to 1890s. Conrad Christian Born also once owned 827 Bryden, seen above at #3, but it’s not known which house he lived in first. His family was prolific in their real estate, having also owned houses at 588 S. Front and 671 S. High.
1. Residential House: 894-895 E. Engler Street: 1900-Between 1988-1990: Unknown reason for demolition. Site is now a vacant lot.
1. Residential House: 1326-1328 Fair Avenue: Around 1895-Between 1983-1990: Unknown reason for demolition. House was listed in fair, but vacant condition in 1983. Site now a vacant lot.
1. Herbert A. Linthwaite House: 781 Franklin Avenue: Pre 1897-Between 1971-1975: Unknown reason for demolition, but the lot remains vacant. Notice the bar for tying up horses on the sidewalk.
2. Residential House: 1004-1006 Franklin Avenue: Around 1900-Between 1989-1995: House was listed as vacant and in poor condition in 1989, as the photo shows, which likely contributed to its demolition.
3. Charles C. Thomas House: 1088 Franklin Avenue: Around 1890-1968: Demolished to build an apartment building that still exists. The adjacent house at 1084 Franklin Avenue, which I don’t have a photo for yet, was demolished in 1976.
4. Residential House: 1566-1568 Franklin Avenue: 1915-Around 1985: House was listed to be in poor condition with fire damage in late 1984, and is likely the reason for demolition. Site is now a vacant lot.
1. Mary C. Campbell House: 41 S. Garfield Avenue: Around 1890-1975: Competing as “Miss Columbus”, Campbell was the winner of Miss America in 1922 and 1923, the first 2 official years of the competition, and the only woman to ever win twice. After nearly winning again in 1924, the rules were changed so that no contestant could ever win more than once. Campbell’s modest home was demolished in 1975 for unknown reasons, and the site is now the side yard of 39 S. Garfield.
1. Emerson McMillin House: 54 Hamilton Avenue: 1887-1964: Replaced with an apartment building.
2. W.F. Goodspeed House: 72 Hamilton Avenue: Around 1895-1964: Demolished to build the same apartment building project that also demolished 54 Hamilton.
3. Frederick Fieser House: 75 Hamilton Avenue: 1885-Probably around 1960. There is actually some question as to when this house was demolished. Historic aerials show 2 homes on the large lot that now holds this address. The southern house was demolished around 1960, and the northern house remained until about 1987. There is one clue that may help identify which was which- the sidewalk in the 1892 photo. It splits into a sort of Y shape. In the 2014 photo, you can see remnants of this sidewalk, indicating that the southern home was actually 75 N. Hamilton, demolished for unknown reasons around 1960.
1. Residential House: 257 Kelton Avenue: Around 1910-Between 1988-1990: House was vacant and in poor condition in 1988, contributing to its demolition.
1. Kenneth D. Wood House: 329 Kendall Place: Around 1895-Around 1960: Replaced with an apartment building and parking lot.
1. Residential House: 86 Latta Avenue: Around 1895-1975: An entity called the Railroad Savings & Loan Company acquired the property in December, 1974, and the house was demolished the following year for unknown reasons. The lot has remained vacant ever since, though in 1995, it became part of 90 Latta Avenue.
2. Residential House: 168-170 Latta Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1987: House is listed to be in poor condition in 1984, which likely contributed to its demolition. The site is a vacant lot today.
1. Residential Street Scene: This street scene photo was taken looking north from East Broad Street. This street ran north-south between Jefferson and Hamilton Avenues and was lined with large, opulent homes, including the David Meehan home at 29 Lexington (first on the left). The street ran from E. Broad to just north of Leonard Avenue. The entire street, and all remaining houses, were demolished in 1962 during the construction of I-71 through the neighborhood. No trace of Lexington Avenue remains today.
1. Residential House: 1037 Madison Avenue: Around 1895-Between 1982-1984: Unknown reason for demolition, but the house was listed as being in poor condition in 1982.
1. Residential House: 1100 East Main Street: Around 1890-1980s: Unknown reason for demolition. Originally built as a residential home, it became the William Winegarner Undertaking business from 1909 to 1938. The house was torn down sometime in the 1980s. Today, the site is the parking lot for a Family Dollar with a South Ohio Avenue address.
2. Hannibal H. Kimball House: 1323 E. Main Street: Around 1855-1928: Demolished to build a new Pauline Home for the Aged, which had taken over the original house around 1900. The present address is 1303 E. Main.
3. M.C. Lilley House: 1569 E. Main Street: 1840-Around 1963: The house appears to have survived until 1963, when the entire site was cleared for a gas station. Today, the gas station building still exists, but is now used as a carryout.
1. Residential House: 29 S. Monroe Avenue: 1904-Around 1985: Reason for demolition unknown, but the house was listed in poor condition by 1984. Site is now a vacant lot.
2. Samuel C. Belknap House: 56 S. Monroe Avenue: 1887-1971: The property was purchased by the Ohio Conference of the Methodist Church and demolished in 1971 along with the house at the corner of Monroe and Oak. The reason for this is unknown, but it’s possible that the Church, which owned quite a few lots in the area at the time, was planning some kind of new church or church housing project. Either way, the site was sold again in 1973 and remained a vacant lot until 2017, when a new single-family home was built on the site.
3. Louisa Stafford House: 71 N. Monroe Avenue: Around 1890-1977: Unknown reason for demolition. Lot is now a vacant lot.
1. Charles. H. Putnam House: 775 Oak Street: Around 1890-1970: Unknown reason for demolition, but the site has remained a vacant lot to the present day, now as a community garden. 3 other house were also demolished during this period on this block.
2. John C. Brown House: 965 Oak Street: Around 1895-1966: Demolished to expand Metropolitan Baptist Church, which also demolished 3 other adjacent historic houses.
3. Emilius Oviatt Randall House: 1025 Oak Street: Pre 1889-Around 1970: This house was replaced with a small apartment building that still exists. The house faced S. 21st rather than Oak itself.
4. Jefferson L. Cherry House: 1123 Oak Street: Around 1895-Around 1960 : Unknown reason for demolition, but the lot remains empty.
1. Residential House: 274 S. Ohio Avenue: Around 1905-Around 1982: Reason for demolition unknown, but the house was in poor condition by 1982. Site is now a community garden.
1. George McClelland Parsons House: 156 Parsons Avenue: 1847-3/15/1954: Served as the Columbus School for Girls from 1901-1953. The building was demolished for redevelopment of the site into an office building, which remains to the present day.
2. James G. Thurber House: 251 Parsons Avenue: Around 1880-1962: Demolished to construct I-71. The address does not exist any longer and is just a strip of green space. The Thurber family moved around quite a bit, having lived at 921 S. Champion from 1899-1900 (demolished), 568 Oak Street around 1908 (demolished), 227 S. 17th from 1909-1912 (existing) and 77 Jefferson Avenue from 1913-1917 (existing).
1. George J. Karb House: 641 E. Rich Street: Around 1895-1962: This home was demolished for the construction of I-71.
2. Residential House: 1105-1107 E. Rich Street: Around 1910-Between 1987-1990: Unknown reason for demolition, but the house was listed in poor condition in 1988.
3. Residential House: 1156-1158 E. Rich Street: Around 1895-Between 1983-1990: Unknown reason for demolition. House was listed as vacant, but in fair condition in 1983.
4. Residential House: 1600 E. Rich Street: Around 1895-Between 1985-1990: House was listed as vacant an in poor condition in 1985, which likely contributed to its demolition.
5. Residential House: 1827 E. Rich Street: Around 1910-Between 1988-1990: House was listed as vacant and in poor condition in 1988.
1. Howard Gillard House: 80 N. 17th Street: Around 1870-Around 1969: Replaced with the Columbus Childcare Center, which was later expanded to fill most of this block and became offices and a school over the years. The building was demolished to build new residential infill.
1. Washington Gladden House: 631 E. Town Street: Around 1885-1962: Demolished for the construction of I-71.
2. Joshua D. Price House: 709 E. Town Street: Around 1885-1968: Unknown reason for demolition, but the site may have been used for parking. It remains an empty lot.
3. Joseph Dunn House: 936 E. Town Street: 1887-1963: Unknown reason for demolition, but may have been for the apartment building that still exists on the site.
1. Residential House: 270 S. 21st Street: Around 1895-1989: Unknown reason for demolition. Site is now a vacant lot.
1. Jacob Hare House: 72 Woodland Avenue: Around 1860-Around 1908: This house was demolished to build the William Miller house that remains on the site.
2. J.M. McCune House: 120 Woodland Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1957: Unknown reason for demolition, but was probably to prepare the site for the existing rec center.
3. Edward Denmead House: 153 Woodland Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1960: House was demolished when the adjacent church was constructed. The site is now a parking lot.
Olde Towne East/King-Lincoln- Existing
1. William Stewart House: 250 Allen Avenue: 1894
1. William Jones House: 731 E. Broad Street: 1889
2. Charles E. Morris House: 875 E. Broad Street: 1895
3. Perin B. Monypeny House: 957 E. Broad Street: 1889
4. Frank J. Shedd House: 965 E. Broad Street: 1888
5. Charles Zimmerman House: 973 E. Broad Street: 1911
6. James B. Hanna House: 1021 E. Broad Street: 1896
*No historic photo available at this time.
7. James C. Campbell House: 1203 E. Broad Street: 1909
8. Charles Lindenberg House, AKA Governor’s Mansion: 1234 E. Broad Street: 1904
9. T.J. Keating House: 1317 E. Broad Street: Around 1875
10. Henry C. Taylor House: 1400 E. Broad Street: 1856
11. Matthew J. Bergin House: 1415 E. Broad Street: 1897
12. Frederick Shedd House: 1444 E. Broad Street: 1903
13. Henry Werner House: 1640 E. Broad Street: 1914
1. William M. Fisher House: 695 Bryden Road: 1884
*No historic photo available at this time.
2. Joseph W. Weil House: 759 Bryden Road: Around 1889
3. John Siebert House: 813 Bryden Road: Around 1890
3. Samuel Borger House: 820 Bryden Road: 1903
4. M.R. Patterson House: 882 Bryden Road: Around 1890
5. Nathan B. Abbott House: 892 Bryden Road: 1886
6. Dr. Benjamin I. Barbee House: 986 Bryden Road: Around 1896
7. Orlando A. Miller House: 1029 Bryden Road: 1894
8. Peter Schille House: 1166 Bryden Road: 1898
*No historic photo available at this time.
9. John S. Schneider House: 1169 Bryden Road: Around 1895
10. Mary Clough House: 1195 Bryden Road: Around 1895
11. John Dunham House: 1201 Bryden Road: Around 1895
12. Frederick Freeman House: 1211 Bryden Road: Around 1895
13. Edward Johnson House: 1240 Bryden Road: 1898
14. Charles F. Myers House: 1330 Bryden Road: 1896
15. Valentine Loewer House: 1422 Bryden Road: 1887
1. Residential House: 244-246 S. 18th Street: Around 1895.
1. Residential House: 1354-1356 Fair Avenue: Around 1900
1. Henry S. Hallwood House: 776 Franklin Avenue: Pre 1897
2. Charles E. Bonebrake House: 865 Franklin Avenue: 1888
3. A.G. Pugh House: 875 Franklin Avenue: 1891
3. Robert O. Ryder House: 1041 Franklin Avenue: Around 1900
*No historic photo is available at this time.
4. Residential House: 1224 Franklin Avenue: Around 1900
5. Tod Gilliam House: 1819 Franklin Park South: Around 1910
1. Herman A. Hoster House: 43 Hamilton Avenue: 1888
2. Foster Copeland House: 50 Hamilton Avenue: Pre 1915
3. William Hardesty House: 91 Hamilton Avenue: 1891
4. H.B. Alexander House: 186 Hamilton Avenue: Around 1890
1. Theodore Nesser House: 1608 Harvard Avenue: Around 1905
*No historic photo available at this time.
1. Henry O’Kane House: 72 Hoffman Avenue: Around 1895
1. Residential House: 250-252 Kelton Avenue: Around 1910
1. Residential House: 374 Kendall Place: Around 1899
2. Residential House: 388 Kendall Place: Around 1905
1. Hannibal H. Kimball House: 452 Kimball Place: 1853
**No old photo available at this time.
1. Residential House: 90 Latta Avenue: Around 1895
2. Edgar Hart House: 96 Latta Avenue: Around 1895
1. Horace Wilson House: 384 Linwood Avenue: Around 1855
**No historic photo available yet.
1. Harry B. Olmsted: 1582 E. Long Street: Around 1898
1. Hannah Neil Home for Children: 727 E. Main Street: Around 1860
1. T.J. Dundon House: 91 Miami Avenue: Around 1880
1. Harry W. Lum House: 143 S. Monroe Avenue: Around 1895
2. Residential House: 461 N. Monroe Avenue: 1899
1. Residential House: 1022 Oak Street: 1895
2. Residential House: 1310 Oak Street: Around 1890
3. Residential House: 1635-1637 Oak Street: Around 1899
1. Residential House: 1858 E. Rich Street: Around 1895
1. Residential House: 248 N. 17th Street: Around 1880
1. Charles Wheeler House: 354 W. 6th Street: 1890
1. George Early House: 108 N. 20th Street: Around 1895
1. C.H.L Schuette House: 62 Wilson Avenue: 1890: House has been significantly altered from original design.
2. Residential House: 156 Wilson Avenue: Around 1895
1. John Cashatt House: 57 Winner Avenue: Around 1898
2. Robert H. Jeffrey House: 71 Winner Avenue: 1902
1. Almer Armstrong House: 71 Woodland Avenue: Around 1910
2. William A. Miller House: 72 Woodland Avenue: 1908
3. John S. Wagenhals House: 223 Woodland Avenue: Around 1895
4. Daniel Ryan House: 297 Woodland Avenue: Around 1895