This page has before and after photos for historic buildings in the Hilltop neighborhood.
The buildings are organized in alphabetical order by street name.
Last updated: 9/4/2019.
1. William Smith House: 2456 W. Broad Street: Around 1890: Although this house technically still exists, major renovations and expansions have left it unrecognizable.
2. Hague Avenue Elementary: 2744 W. Broad Street: 1910
1. Erwin Price House: 268 S. Eureka Avenue: 1924
1. Residential House: 92-94 N. Haldy Avenue: 1925
1. Kathryn Olmstead House: 75 N. Huron Avenue: 1927
2. Mayson Hayhurst House: 111 N. Huron Avenue: 1927
3. Cora Hayhurst House: 128 N. Huron Avenue: 1927
4. Denver Larrick House: 465 S. Huron Avenue: 1928
1. George Harper House: 145 Lechner Avenue: Around 1915
2. Florence McKenzie House: 168 Lechner Avenue: 1922
3. Hazel Sager House: 171-173 Lechner Avenue: 1920
4. Lillie Watrous House: 172-174 Lechner Avenue: 1924
5. Anna Larkin House: 177 Lechner Avenue: Around 1910
6. Augusta Seaman House: 178 Lechner Avenue: 1922
7. Ernest Case House: 197-199 Lechner Avenue: 1925
8. Earle Anderson House: 252 Lechner Avenue: 1919
9. William Murray House: 338 Lechner Avenue: Around 1920
1. Elizabeth Froggatt House: 166 Midland Avenue: Around 1900
1. Lewis Amarine House: 46 Powhatan Avenue: 1929
2. Horatio Creith House: 129 Powhatan Avenue: 1929
1. Ralph Stansell House: 1924 Sullivant Avenue: 1920
2. William Whitt House: 1960 Sullivant Avenue: 1920
1. Andrew Schatz House: 244 N. Terrace Avenue: 1923
1. William Dennis House: 92 S. Warren Avenue: 1911
1. Charles Johnson House: 494 Woodbury Avenue: 1928
2. Wilbur Stone House: 498 Woodbury Avenue: 1928
3. Fred Price House: 526 Woodbury Avenue: 1928
1. Columbus State Hospital: 1960 W. Broad Street: 1873-1987: Once the largest building under one roof in the United States, this massive hospital served most of its life as some sort of mental institution, though under a variety of names. It had fallen out of use by the 1980s and was in a state of deterioration. Despite opposition and preservation efforts, costs to renovate the structure into other uses was considered impractical at the time. Today, the site is home to the Ohio BMV, though most of the original building’s footprint is either parking lots or green space.
2. Eldon Smith House: 2488 W. Broad Street: 1899-1971: Demolished by Hillcrest Baptist Church for a parking lot that remains to the present day.
3. William Van Sickle House: 2800 W. Broad Street: 1897-1910: This house only lasted 13 years. The school board bought the land to build the Hague Avenue Elementary School, completed in 1910.
4. Four Mile House Tavern and Inn: 2904 W. Broad Street: Around 1836-1913: Originally built to serve travelers along the National Road, the building was used as the headquarters of Camp Chase during the Civil War. It continued to serve as an inn and tavern into the early 1900s. Unknown reason for demolition.
1. Eugenia Jones House: 130 Lechner Avenue: Around 1905-2015: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site remains vacant.
2. Roy Taylor House: 181 Lechner Avenue: Around 1910-2016: Demolished for unknown reasons, but likely due to condition. The lot remains vacant.
1. Residential House: 2224 Sullivant Avenue: 1910-1967: Demolished to build a parking lot.