This page highlights before and after photos of historic buildings within the neighborhood of Olde Towne East.
The buildings are organized alphabetically by street name.
Last Updated: 11/25/2019
Existing Historic Buildings
1. Residential House: 241-243 Benton Street: 1899
1. William Jones House: 731 E. Broad Street: 1889
2. Broad-Garfield Apartments: 775 E. Broad Street: 1929
3. David Jones House: 785 E. Broad Street: 1840
4. Charles Morris House: 875 E. Broad Street: 1895
5. Frank Hickock House: 957 E. Broad Street: 1878
6. Frank Shedd House: 965 E. Broad Street: 1889
7. Broad Street Church of Christ: 1049 E. Broad Street: 1906
8. James Campbell House: 1203 E. Broad Street: 1909
9. Edward Ziegler House: 1243 E. Broad Street: 1908
10. James Alcorn House: 1251 E. Broad Street: 1899
11. Carl Phillips House: 1271 E. Broad Street: 1904
12. Colonial Apartments: 1313 E. Broad Street: 1904
13. Thomas Keating House: 1317 E. Broad Street: Around 1885
14. Henry Pirrung House: 1415 E. Broad Street: 1896
1. Charles Stribling House: 844 Bryden Road: 1912
2. Benjamin Barbee House: 986 Bryden Road: 1896
3. Orlando Miller House: 1029 Bryden Road: 1894
4. First Presbyterian Church: 1099 Bryden Road: 1909
5. John Schneider House: 1169 Bryden Road: Around 1895
6. John Thomas House: 1211 Bryden Road: 1900
7. Charles Myers House: 1330 Bryden Road: 1896
8. Mollie Farber House: 1611 Bryden Road: Around 1900
1. Brown Veterinary Hospital: 220 S. Champion Avenue: 1906: The building was heavily modified in the 1950s.
1. Apartment Building: 166-178 S. 18th Street: 1890
2. Residential House: 244-246 S. 18th Street: 1904
3. Residential House: 370 S. 18th Street: Around 1890
Franklin Park South
1. Tod Gilliam House: 1819 Franklin Park South: 1912
1. Lincoln Mathews House: 388 Kendall Place: Around 1910
1. William North House: 40-42 Latta Avenue: 1906
2. Charles Gibbard House: 43 Latta Avenue: 1875
3. Bess Lorbach House: 49-51 Latta Avenue: 1918
4. Cary Brown House: 59 Latta Avenue: Around 1905
5. Mary Sessions House: 60 Latta Avenue: Around 1895
6. Frederick Schlotman House: 90 Latta Avenue: Around 1895
7. Edgar Hart House: 94 Latta Avenue: Around 1895
1. Residential Building: 947 McAllister Avenue: Around 1905
2. Morris Thurman House: 981 McAllister Avenue: 1899
3. Residential Building: 1113-1119 McAllister Avenue: Around 1910
1. William Lindig House: 33-35 S. Monroe Avenue: Around 1900
1. Elizabeth Henderson House: 179-181 S. 19th Street: 1904
1. Margaret Kerr House: 497 Oakwood Avenue: 1912
1. James Bruce House: 1991 Payne Avenue: Around 1905
1. George Bassett House: 248 Rhoads Avenue: 1919
2. Lisle Bell House: 256 Rhoads Avenue: 1918
3. Margaret Brubacher House: 260 Rhoads Avenue: 1921
4. Sallie Shulman House: 280 Rhoads Avenue: 1920
5. Caroline Barthman House: 290 Rhoads Avenue: 1923
1. Ada Gitlin House: 228 S. 17th Street: 1905
2. Frederick Freeman House: 252 S. 17th Street: 1894
3. Dave Levinson House: 296-298 S. 17th Street: 1904
1. Clarence Addison House: 37 Sherman Avenue: 1910
2. Residential Building: 43-45 Sheran Avenue: Around 1910
3. Louis Simon House: 56 Sherman Avenue: 1907
4. Charles Cussins House: 72 Sherman Avenue: 1913
1. Rosalyn Senter House: 390 S. 22nd Street: 1923
2. William Beck House: 441 S. 22nd Street: Around 1905
Demolished Historic Buildings
1. Edward Leroy House: 683 E. Broad Street: 1880-1925: The house was demolished to build an office and retail building, which was completed in 1926. That building barely escaped demolition during the construction of I-71, but was eventually demolished in 1988 to build the existing office building that currently houses the Buckeye Ranch Foundation.
2. William Brickell House: 715 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-1963: Demolished for unknown reasons, but probably for a parking lot for the adjacent building. The site is now part of a widened Parsons Avenue.
3. William Miles House: 721 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-1967: Demolished to build a retail outlet that still exists.
4. Ebenezer Dewitt House: 841 E. Broad Street: Around 1885-1938: Demolished for development of unknown type. That development was torn down in 1972 and the site became the current gas station a few years later.
5. Frank Powell House: 869 E. Broad Street: 1889-12/17/1965: Demolished for unknown reasons. It appears that the last family member living in the house had died in October 1965, and the house was quickly torn down afterwards. The site has remained a vacant lot ever since.
6. George Peters/Frank Brown/Ned Reese Houses (right to left): 891-911 E. Broad Street: 1895-1905 to 1961 : These homes were all demolished for the office building that is currently on the site.
7. Sarah Failing House: 947 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1980: Demolished to become the parking lot of a new office expansion next door at 957 E. Broad, and has remained the same since.
8. Emil Hoster House: 1065 E. Broad Street: 1899-1962: Demolished in preparation to build new offices for Buckeye Union Insurance Company. In total, the offices would require the demolition of about 20 historic homes, wiping out an almost fully intact block. The site is now green space for city offices.
9. William Orr House: 1089 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1962: This home was another casualty of the Buckeye Union Insurance Company Building.
10. Horace Chapman House: 1117 E. Broad Street: Around 1890-1962: Another casualty of the Buckeye Union Insurance Company Building.
11. William Heskett House: 1167 E. Broad Street: Around 1910-1975: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site is now partially green space and partially a parking lot.
12. Edward Merkle House: 1373 E. Broad Street: 1907-1974: Demolished by the city to build the office building still on the site. The location of the house is a parking lot for the offices.
13. Charles Kurtz House: 1525 E. Broad Street: Around 1895-1949: Demolished to build the current office building.
1. Robert McCarter House: 737 Bryden Road: 1899-1967: Demolished to build the existing apartment building.
2. B’Nail Israel Temple: 925 Bryden Road: 1904-1969: The end began in 1960 when the Temple Israel congregation moved to a new church on East Broad. Caldwell Temple moved in that year, but the growing church quickly ran out of space. In 1968, Caldwell Temple swapped churches with the First United Methodist Church next door at 873 Bryden Road. First United had been rapidly losing membership and no longer needed the space, but they had no plans for the former Caldwell Temple, either. The following year, the church was sold to the city. After receiving federal park grants, the city tore down the church to put in Blackburn Park.
3. Henry Miller House: 987 Bryden Road: 1899-1975: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remains vacant.
4. Samuel Black House: 1000 Bryden Road: 1894-1962: Demolished to build the Grant Apartments complex that still exists.
5. Charles Neil House: 1044 Bryden Road: 1899-1946: Unknown reason for demolition. The site wouldn’t have the current apartment building on it until 1964.
6. John Kaufman House: 1151 Bryden Road: Around 1895-1942: Demolished to build the existing apartment building.
7. Bryden Apartments: 1277 Bryden Road: 1902-1976: It seems this apartment complex began to run into trouble in 1966, when a fire broke out in the attic. Apparently, financial trouble for owners forced a sale in 1972 and then again in 1974. The Boys Own Youth Shelter, Inc. purchased the property in 1974 with a plan to convert it into housing for troubled youth, but then decided to tear it down and build new, possibly due to higher costs associated with a large renovation. The new shelter, however, was never built, as the organization ended up running up a delinquent property tax tab and the property ended up in the hands of the City in 1978. The vacant lot eventually became English Park and Kwanzaa Playground.
8. Herbert Bradley House: 1392 Bryden Road: Around 1895-1966: Demolished by an organization known as Moor Investments to build the apartment building that is currently on the site.
1. Mabel Sulzer House: 161-163 S. 18th Street: Around 1905-1981: Unknown reasons for demolition. The site remains vacant.
2. Francis Peck House: 291 S. 18th Street: Around 1890-1993: Unknown reason for demolition. A new house went on the site in 2004.
3. Freda Schwarz House: 295 S. 18th Street: Around 1895-1981: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remains vacant.
4. Mixed-Use Building: 318-326 S. 18th Street: Around 1895-1969: Demolished as part of the creation of Blackburn Park.
1. Herbert Linthwaite House: 781 Franklin Avenue: Around 1895-1975: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remains vacant.
2. Charles Thomas House: 1088 Franklin Avenue: Around 1890-1968: Demolished to build and apartment building that remains to the present.
3. East High School: 1390 Franklin Avenue: 1899-1975: The school was used until 1923, when the 2nd East High was completed at 1500 E. Broad Street. The school became Franklin Junior High School for the rest of its existence. The school was torn down to make way for a new school building, now the Franklin Alternative Middle School. This construction also permanently cut Franklin Avenue into 2 separate east and west sections and required the demolition of about 2 dozen historic homes.
Franklin Park South
1. The Children’s Hospital: 1515 Franklin Park South: 2/1/1894-Around 1930: The original location of Children’s Hospital, it was demolished a few years after the present location was opened in 1924. Apartments have been on the site since 1937.
2. Anton Brunner House: 1939 Franklin Park South: 1902-1982: Functioned as the Columbus Academy until 1968. Demolished by the city to build an athletic complex and Academy Park.
1. Kenneth Wood House: 329 Kendall Place: Around 1898-1981: Demolished to create a parking ot for the adjacent apartment building.
1. Lillian Cochrane House: 1090 McAllister Avenue: Around 1895-1999: Unknown reason for demolition. The site remains vacant.
1. The Cumberland: 26-30 Parsons Avenue: 1895-1976: Unknown reason for demolition. The site is used for parking.
1. Residential House: 29 Sherman Avenue: Around 1910-1962: Demolished for a parking lot that remains to the present day.
1. Benjamin Hopson House: 261 S. 20th Street: Around 1890-1973: Unknown reason for demolition. The site has remained a vacant lot.