Here are all the before and after photos for historic buildings in the Short North. This includes, among others, the neighborhoods of Italian Village, Victorian Village and Harrison West.
**Last Updated: 9/11/2019.
Existing Historic Buildings
1. John Sater House: 114 Buttles Avenue: 1896
2. Saul Levy House: 122 Buttles Avenue: 1897
3. Joseph Schoene House: 130 Buttles Avenue: 1896
4. Charles Stribling House: 140 Buttles Avenue: 1895
5. Robert Thompson House: 182 Buttles Avenue: Around 1895
1. Rodney Gregg House: 725 Dennison Avenue: 1880
2. Peter Sells House: 755 Dennison Avenue: 1894
1. Bryant Griffith House: 299 W. 5th Avenue: 1895
2. William Hoyer House: 350 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1900
3. Linnie Shaw House: 421 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1900
1. Residential House: 119-121 W. 1st Avenue: 1903
2. Charles Staley House: 522 W. 1st Avenue: Around 1900
1. Benjamin James House: 729-731 Hamlet Street: Around 1880
2. Residential House: 778-780 Hamlet Street: Around 1905
3. John Naddy House: 779-781 Hamlet Street: Around 1880
4. Residential House: 782-784 Hamlet Street: 1906
5. Thomas Kuhn House: 807 Hamlet Street: Around 1880
6. Albert DeWitt House: 809 Hamlet Street: Around 1880
7. Horace Gowdy House: 819 Hamlet Street: Around 1885
8. Mary Kearins House: 823-825 Hamlet Street: Around 1905
9. Robert Lilley House: 828 Hamlet Street: Around 1885
10. Levi Kelley House: 838 Hamlet Street: Around 1885
11. Charles Doty House: 844-846 Hamlet Street: Around 1880
12. Residential House: 1037 Hamlet Street: Around 1910
13. Otto Gerber House: 1056 Hamlet Street: 1889
1. Stephen Carhard House: 1050 Highland Street: 1875
2. Albert Hall House: 1051 Highland Street: Around 1885
1. Ohio Auto Sales Company Building: 772-776 N. High Street: 1914
2. Greystone Court Apartments: 815 N. High Street: 1907
3. Mixed-Use Buildings: 1201-1207 N. High Street: Between 1900-1910
1. Delno Warden House: 812 Kerr Street: Around 1880
1. Neil Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church: 618 Neil Avenue: 1890
2. Peter Hess House: 682 Neil Avenue: 1896
3. Frank Dean House: 698 Neil Avenue: 1898
4. John Davie House: 736 Neil Avenue: 1890
5. Charles Kinney House: 754 Neil Avenue: 1896
6. George Barrett House: 768 Neil Avenue: 1893
7. Dan Danehy House: 772 Neil Avenue: 1880
8. John Lloyd House: 957 Neil Avenue: 1895
9. John Rogers House: 1045 Neil Avenue: Around 1895
10. Amos Solomon House: 1100 Neil Avenue: 1897
11. Edson Emrick House: 1126 Neil Avenue: 1895
12. Leonard Gribbon House: 1164 Neil Avenue: 1893
13. George Mooney House: 1192 Neil Avenue: 1918
14. Alfred Conklin House: 1237 Neil Avenue: 1893
15. John Millsom House: 1255 Neil Avenue: 1882
16. Charles Eckert House: 1260 Neil Avenue: 1895
17. Robert Caldwell House: 1265 Neil Avenue: 1893
1. Cornelius Cummins House: 248 W. Poplar Street: 1891
1. Residential Building: 252-260 E. 2nd Avenue: Around 1900
1. Residential House: 72 E. 3rd Avenue: Around 1900
1. Ella Loudenslager House: 49-51 E. Warren Street: Around 1890
2. Margaret Holt House: 65-67 E. Warren Street: Around 1905
3. Eva Mays House: 102-104 E. Warren Street: Around 1890
4. Nathan Munshower House: 134 E. Warren Street: Around 1890
5. Residential House: 160-168 E. Warren Street: 1889
Demolished Historic Buildings
1. Harvey Reed House: 64 Buttles Avenue: 1896-1972: Unknown reasons for demolition, but a fire in 1964 may have played a role in its eventual demise. The site is now the side yard of 76 Buttles.
2. Theophilus Rees House: 106 Buttles Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1968: Unknown reasons for demolition. The site was vacant until 2004.
1. Residential House: 117 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1890-1967: This home was demolished to expand the school and facilities of what is today the Thompson Recreation Center and park.
2. Residential House: 269 E. 5th Avenue: Around 1905-1962: Demolished to build the existing office building.
3. Residential Building: 381-387 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1905-Around 1978: Demolished for unknowns reasons. The current apartment block went up in 1984.
4. Residential House: 389 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1978: Demolished for unknowns reasons. The current apartment block went up in 1984.
5. Residential House: 421 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1895-Around 1978: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site remains vacant.
6. Residential House: 439 W. 5th Avenue: Around 1900-Around 1978: Demolished for unknown reasons, but condition likely played a role. The site remains vacant.
1. Frederick Dunning House: 378-380 W. 4th Avenue: 1893-1981: Unknown reasons for demolition, but probably to build the new home on the site, which was completed in 1982.
2. Charles Reasoner House: 443 W. 4th Avenue: 1891-1987: Demolished by the city for unknown reasons, but probably due to condition. The site is now part of Harrison West Park.
1. Grant Hearing House: 811 Hamlet Street: Around 1885-1986: Demolished due to poor condition. A new house was built on the site in 1999.
2. Residential House: 1036-1038 Hamlet Street: Around 1890-1962: Although the old and new house look pretty similar, the original was torn down for unknown reasons. The new home went up in 2003.
3. William Innskeep House: 1058 Hamlet Street: 1891-Around 1968: Unknown reasons for demolition. The site is now part of 1062 Hamlet.
1. Ephraim Sells House 771 N. High Street: 1887-5/17/1966: The build date is somewhat disputed. Photos of the home say 1887, but a Dispatch article says it was built in 1834. Either way, sometime after Ephraim’s death in 1898, it became an Eagles Lodge. It was demolished to build a car lot for then Winders Chevrolet after the Eagles sold it in 1965. The parking lot remained until the current mixed-use building went up in 2003. The original home address was 655 N. High.
2. John Hughes House: 941 N. High Street: 1870-1928: Demolished to build the current building.
1. George Peters House: 632 N. Park Street: 1873-1924: Demolished to build the United Commercial Travelers building, which still exists.
2. William Neil House: 664 N. Park Street: 1875-1967: Demolished for unknown reasons. The home served as various hospitals and medical facilities beginning with Parkview Sanitarium in 1902. The site remained vacant until Victorian Gate was constructed in 1994.
3. The Protestant Hospital and Ohio Medical University: 700 N. Park Street: 1896-1970: The very early predecessor of Riverside, this hospital was demolished after several years of abandonment when the hospital moved out in 1958. The site remained a parking lot until 1994.
1. Residential House: 915-917 Pennsylvania Avenue: Around 1910-1962: Demolished as part of a massive “slum clearance” project that wiped out almost every building southwest of 1st Avenue and Neil west to the Olentangy and south to where I-670 is now. Pennsylvania Avenue, which once extended south to Spruce Street, also ceased to exist south of 1st. In the recent photo, the location of the home was behind the current building face the opposite direction.
2. Douglas Hayes House: 1256-1258 Pennsylvania Avenue: Around 1890-1983: Demolished to build the existing apartment complex.
1. Minnie Farrington House: 253-255 W. Poplar Street: Around 1900-1970: Demolished to build the gas station that remains on the site.
1. Residential Building: 79 W. 2nd Avenue: Around 1900-1974: Unknown reason for demolition. Today the site is used as a parking lot.
2. Residential House: 168 W. 2nd Avenue: Around 1890-Around 1970: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site remained vacant until 2016.
3. Fred Rickey House: 216-218 W. 2nd Avenue: Around 1890-1975: Demolished for unknown reasons, but the site had other development by the mid-1980s.
4. Treat Ford House: 542 W. 2nd Avenue 1893-Before 1921: Demolished for unknown reasons. The date of demolition is somewhat a mystery. Old maps show the house was gone before 1921 at that address. However, addresses changed during the late 19th-early 20th century, so it’s possible it was another address at one time. A house at 520 W. 2nd looks suspiciously similar, but I could find no record of the Ford family ever living there. Assuming 542 is the right address, the home was demolished within 20 or so years of construction, suggesting a possible fire. A new house didn’t go on the site until 1994.