This page has before and after photos and descriptions for historic buildings within Franklinton. Click on any photo for a larger image.
**Last Updated: 1/17/2020
Existing Historic Buildings
1. Avondale Elementary School: 156 Avondale Elementary: 1893
1. Ohio Central Passenger Station: 379 W. Broad Street: 1895
2. Engine House #6: 540 W. Broad Street: 1880
2. General William Henry Harrison War of 1812 HQ: 570 W. Broad Street: 1805
3. Holy Family Roman Catholic Church: 584 W. Broad Street: 1889
4. Retail/Office Building: 619 W. Broad Street: Around 1900: The original address of 619-629 W. Broad is now 635 W. Broad.
5. Engine House #10: 1096 W. Broad Street: 1896
6. Retail Building: 1158 W. Broad Street: Around 1915: The current address is 1160 W. Broad. The building was significantly altered in 1947.
1. Residential House: 34 S. Central Avenue: Around 1910
1. Isaac Miner House: 819 Eaton Avenue: 1823
1. Holy Family Parish School: 57 S. Grubb Street: 1912: The building was spared by literal feet by the construction of 315, as seen in the second photo.
1. Emma Gallagher House: 38 Jones Avenue: Around 1905
2. Mary Ryan House: 40 Jones Avenue: Around 1898
3. William Elgin House: 54-56 Jones Avenue: Around 1898
Demolished Historic Buildings
1. Henry C. Godman Shoe Company: 347 W. Broad Street: Around 1895-1921: This was the first major factory for Godman Shoe Company, but lasted a relatively short time. This building was torn down to build a new manufacturing plant that opened in 1922. That second plant stopped manufacturing shoes in the 1940s, but the building survived until late 1990s.
2. Dennis Clahane House: 494 W. Broad Street: Around 1890-1933: Unknown reasons for demolition. Unlike many buildings in the area, this seems to have survived the 1913 flood, showing up on maps as late as 1922. In 1933, most of the buildings on the block came down, though nothing new was constructed on the site until a retail and office building was built there in 1947. That building complex was torn down in 2016 to make way for the Gravity mixed-use project.
3. Windsor Place Apartments: 504 W. Broad Street: 1897-1960: Unknown reason for demolition, but the responsible party was Huntington National Bank, which acquired the property in 1955. The site remained a parking lot through 2013 when Franklin Station was built.
4. Holy Family Church Priest Residence: 582 W. Broad Street: Around 1850-1895: This house seems to have been replaced by the current building sometime 1891-1900, as the new home shows up on maps as early as 1901.
5. Franklinton Elementary School: 666 W. Broad Street: 1878-3/13/1956: The school was demolished to make way for the construction of Rt 315.
6. Poole Building: 669 W. Broad Street: 1876-7/31/1927: Demolished to build newer development. The newer building was demolished in 1962 during the construction of 315.
7. Monticello Apartments: 934 W. Broad Street: 1900-1992: A probable arson fire in 1991 severely damaged the structure. Though there was a buyer for the property to restore the building, the city refused to give the time necessary to move the project forward due to the public danger of the damaged building. The site has been vacant ever since.
8. Thomas Ross House: 1043 W. Broad Street: Around 1895-1978: Demolished to build the present gas station.
9. Mixed-Use Buildings: 1213-1225 W. Broad Street: The 3 buildings were built between 1890-1915. The 2 buildings between 1217-1225 were demolished in 1974 for unknown reasons and have remained vacant lots ever since. 1213-1215 W. Broad (on the far left), the oldest building of the bunch, survived all the way to 2017 before coming down due to neglect of the property by the owners.
1. Alfred Chilcote House: 756-758 Doyle Street: Around 1885-Around 1978: Demolished to build a surface parking lot for Mt. Carmel. The site is now a parking garage.
2. Peter Messmore House: 757 Doyle Street: 1891-Around 1978: Demolished to build the current parking garage for Mt. Carmel.
3. Edward Keenan House: 777-779 Doyle Street: 1893-Around 1978: Demolished to build the current parking garage for Mt. Carmel.
1. Lydia Rankin House: 48-50 Jones Avenue: Around 1899-1975: Unknown reasons for demolition. The site remains vacant.
1. George Rhodes House: 1444-1446 Merrimac Avenue: Around 1895-1980: Demolished for unknown reasons. The site remains vacant.
1. Edward Nicklaus House: 192 S. Sandusky Street: Around 1910-2005: Demolished due to poor condition. The site remains vacant.
1. Holy Family Church Sisters House: 24 N. Skidmore Street: Around 1890-1955: Demolished for unknown reasons, but probably for the small parking lot that still exists.
1. The Columbus Heating and Ventilating Company: 425-435 W. Town Street: Around 1910-2010: The building was demolished due to years of neglect. Most of the roof and inner floors had collapsed by 2010, so the city tore down the remaining structure. Today the site is a parking lot.
2. Residential Houses: 864-874 W. Town Street: Around 1900-1973: Demolished to build a parking lot for Mount Carmel West Hospital.